ALSA problems

flarefox

Ok. I went through and searched for a while but didn't find the answer I'm needing. I have a sound blaster audigy 2 card and it must use the alsa driver.

It sets alsa as loading on boot, but alsa never starts when it is booting and my volumes are never set, so every time I turn my computer on, I have to go log-in as root and type alsa start in a terminal. Even when I do that, noatun and XMMS run perfectly, but nothing else has sound. No KDE application can use it even though I have ALSA set as my sound driver. When I log-in, there is no sound, when running kopete, there is no sound. I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong... then again, I am a relative Linux newbie. Can anyone help me?

~Dee

KDE applications usually needs artsd running to provide sound, such is the case w/ kopete. To enable Artsd open up the kde control center and got to Sound & Multimedia > Sound System.

Check enable the sound system, then go to the hardware tab and choose Threaded Open Sound System or ALSA.

To get sound at start up go to the Mandrake Control Center > System > Servives. And make sure that both Alsa and Sound entries are checked.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, but it still didn't work. It's very frustrating, too. I have alsa checked to run at startup, yet it never runs at startup. I have to go in and start it up manually every single time I reboot. It's very frustrating. Any ideas what could be causing this?

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

I don't know if this will help with your booting problems but it's worth a try:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=Usi...ve+volume+state

Good luck :)

no, it's not that alsa is muting things (that is part of it, but not the major concern), it is that alsa is not loading at all...is there any way I can FORCE alsa to load at start? Is there a command I can enter in some script to force it to? What about getting sound to work in KDE? It just doesn't work at all....