Shutdown Error

Guest mandrake123

Guest mandrake123

OK, My pc has shut down fine ever since i have been using ML9.0. I recently did a reinstall and now i'm having problems with shutdown. The last thing i see is:

unmount: /net Device is busy

I have searched these post and found that someone turned off APMD in the system services and corrected this problem. My question is how will this affect my printing because i thought CUPS needed APMD? Does anyone know of another fix for this?

This is from /etc/init.d/apmd:

# description: apmd is used for monitoring battery status and logging it via 

# syslog(8 ). It can also be used for shutting down the machine when 

# the battery is low.

This is completely useless, unless you have a laptop. And this is not related to cups in any way...

You can turn this featue off safely with the following commands (as root)

service apmd stop

chkconfig apmd off

This turns apmd off right away (service apmd stop) and teach it to NOT restart next time you boot (chkconfig apmd off)

Hope this help

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

A few lines above the "unmount: /net" error there is a devfs error with a status or "Fail". What is that and can i safely turn that off if i do not need it? Can it be related to my /net problem? What about amd?

A few lines above the "unmount: /net" error there is a devfs error with a status or "Fail". What is that and can i safely turn that off if i do not need it? Can it be related to my /net problem?

From 'man devfsd'

The devfsd programme is a daemon, run by the system boot scripts, which

can  provide for intelligent management of device entries in the Device

Filesystem (devfs). It is desirable to start the daemon at  the  begin-

ning of the boot scripts, in particular before filesystem checks.

From http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice2.html

devfsd

Devfsd is the device filesystem daemon (new in 2.4 kernel series) used for providing old entries in /dev. Pertinence: Required. Package devfsd. Doc: man devfsd

So don't turn this off. I would turn apmd and restart to see it that solved the problem first ...

What about amd?

I have no idea what amd is... oh yeah.. my cpu is made by amd .. :lol: :lol:

MOttS

hahah

You should have been able to tell me what amd is !!

from -> http://www.twuug.org/lists/twuug/2002-04/msg00450.html

amd = auto-mount-daemon.

Mandrake uses Supermount by default and not Automount. Have you installed Automount ?

Now turn apmd off with the 2 above commands and reboot 2-3 times to see if everything is ok ... Your system with not explode .. come on.

MOttS

I found some other usefull stuff about AMD and APMD there ==>> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice2.html

amd

The Automounter Daemon. Useful for automatically mounting (hey!) network file systems or removable media. Since removable media are handled by 'supermount' in Mandrake and 'amd' does have its handling quirks, you will possibly only need it for mounting network shares (NFS and the like). Do not run this if you don't need it as it poses a potential security hole.

Pertinence: Optional. Package: am-utils. Doc: MU on 'automount', man pages.

apmd

The Advanced Power Management BIOS Daemon. Usually you will only need it if your computer runs on battery, i.e. a laptop. Some laptop BIOSes do not take kindly to apmd, causing massive installation problems.

Pertinence: Optional. Package: apmd. Doc: man apmd

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

Ok i tried the two commands pertaining to apmd and i still get stuck during shutdown at the "unmount: /net" error. Also , i dont know if i was missing it before or it just started but i am also getting a 'Fail' status where it says it is shutting down NMB.

Ok i tried the two commands pertaining to apmd and i still get stuck during shutdown at the "unmount: /net" error. Also , i dont know if i was missing it before or it just started but i am also getting a 'Fail' status where it says it is shutting down NMB.

NMB is a diamon needed by Samba. Samba is a program to share files with a Windows machine. Do you share files ?

I'm starting to think that you installed every possible packages when you first installed MDK. Now, lots of unnecessary junk runs on your computer without you knowing that.

I suggest you open up the Mandrake Control Center, clic 'System' and 'Services' and clic to NOT START AT BOOT all the services that you don't really need. This way your computer will run faster and safer too.

You can refer HERE to know whether a service is required, optionnal or useless. You can also ask here on the forum.

For NMB, you have to turn Samba off (SMB) in the MCC->System->Services. That _should_ solve you 'umount: /net' problem too...

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

What do you mean by "do i share files"? I have a windows installation on the same disk and i share files that way. I am not on a network with other pc's if thats what you mean, unless the internet counts.

What do you mean by "do i share files"? I have a windows installation on the same disk and i share files that way. I am not on a network with other pc's if thats what you mean, unless the internet counts.

Sorry...

I meant on a network with other PCs.

But you don't so you don't need NMB and SMB.

MOttS

Your problem is with the automount daemon (AMD). The reason it doesn't work properly seems to be that it is called too late in the shutdown process. Either disable it entirely or get it to shutdown sooner. There is a thread on this board describing how to do this.

Glitz.

Ok, i just reinstalled and was mindfull of all the packages and preoccesses i selected. All is fine now. Thank you for all your help.

You not gonna learn anything by always reinstalling....

But that's your choice...

MOttS