Resizing XP partitions

lakelover

I'm getting ready to install MDK9.0, and see that Mandrake advises against using GNU/Linux to resize NTFS partitions. I hate to spend more money for the latest version of Partition Magic. Does Windows XP, have a utility that will do the resizing? I checked the "Knowledge Base" at MS, and found how-to's for creating partitions and deleting them but I don't see anything on resizing. What's the best way to resize WinXP partitions so I can install MDK9.0 on the same disk?

I downloaded the Ranish partition manager but haven't had time to study it. At first glance it looks a little complicated. I'm still trying to find a backup program that works for me. I have a new Dell, with a CD-rw drive, and I'm having problems with formating the CD's and getting them to eject. Some formate okay. Others don't. So, I can't back up my drive until I figure that out. I've always wondered why pc assemblers don't included backup facilities (programs and second drives) as a standard feature. Backups are so important.

In my view, the Ranish Partition Manager is the best choice unless you can find a friend with an emergency set of PM version 8. It may look a little daunting to begin with and is a little short on docs. Get it at http://www.ranish.com . I assume you're going to downsize XP. After you do that, create one extended partition and leave it blank for the installer to do its thing. If you want control over partitioning, you will need to do an expert install. Make sure you create a separate "/home" partition that you can leave unformatted for your NEXT install to preserve your settings for desktops, bookmarks etc.

Counterspy