Cable modem connection

Guest milir

Guest milir

Hi,

I am running Mandrake 10 and i have got a new cable modem ( Motorola Surfboard) which connects to my ethernet card. Mandrake is able to recognize the ethernet card and dmesg returned

eth0: Broadcom 4400 10/100BaseT Ethernet 00:0b:db:ba:26:2b

But i am not sure how to go about setting the internet connection by dhcp. I have the MAC address, Gateway, DNS server ip's got through my windows (dual boot). It would be really hepful if you could help me step by step in setting it up or point out where i can find one.

thanks--millir

Guest milir

Yeah the firewall is turned off and i tried the wizard ,but no luck its not able to assign an IP . Could anyone help me with these two question

1. How to change the eth0 address to that of the MAC address of the cable modem

2. To specify the hostname in the configuration wizard would "localhost" suffice

Just have it detect and setup a LAN connection (Mandrake). I also have Cable ISP and run the cable modem through the mobo's builtin NIC. As long as the NIC is functioning in Mandrake, it should be easy to setup a LAN connection (which is how Cable internet providers treat the connections.

USB ethernet nics are a whole different story.........

Guest milir

Hi thanks for helping,

First of all to answer iphitus, i guess i messed up somewhere, though i have dhcpd running i have no /etc/dhcpd.conf file. Running dhcpd eth0 as root didnt provide any useful results except for a message telling what it was.

To awesome, do you want me to find the ip adress and stuff and assign them myself in the LAN connection wizard??

By the way i bought a router today whihc assigns DHCP IPs and let me try with that .