HAUPPAUGE Remote (grey) and Mandrake 10

devries

With the new LIRC cvs snapshot (download) it is now quite easy to get the grey remote that comes with the Hauppauge PVR250/350 cards working. I tried this with kernel linux-2.6.4-1.tmb.6mdk and with kernel 2.6.7 (from kernel.org) and with both it works flawlessly.

Ok let's start:

-1- Cleaning up: Mandrake comes with lirc 0.66. That means programs like mplayer are build against lirc 06.66 and won't work with lirq 0.7.0pre7. So if you have installed mplayer from plf you will have to uninstall this program (or rather, urpe will take care of that). Do urpme liblirc and see it getting uninstalled.

There is still more cleaning up to do. Make sure you don't have the receiver plugged in the TV-card and then (as root) do rm -fr /dev/lirc*.

Last, do (again as root) an 'updatedb' and (as normal user) 'locate lirc' and remove every mention of lirc under /usr and under /lib.

-2- At last we can start. Untar lirc and cd to the lirc directory. Run configure (./configuer), choose '5' for TV cards and 'f' for Hauppauge. Then choose 3.

Log in as root and give 'make' and after make is done 'make install'. Then, still as root do 'depmod ae' and 'modprobe lirc_i2c'

-3- Start the lirc deamon by typing lircd (as root)

-4- Test if you can use your remote by starting (for example) irkick and press some buttons on your remote (make sure you plugged in the receiver again :) ).

It didn't work for me the first time and only root was able to use the remote so I (as root) did 'chmod 666 /dev/lircd' and everything worked fine.

-5- Now we need to reinstall mplayer again. Because we can't use a Mandrake rpm we must build it from sourse (download). Untar the package and cd to the mplayer folder. This version of mplayer won't built without editing of the ffv1.c file (in the libavcodec folder). Delete line 465 and replace it with

{
int tmp;
tmp=(h+i-y)%ring_size; 
sample[p][i]= sample_buffer[p][(h+i-y)%ring_size]+3;
}

Then type ./configure --enable-lirc, make and (as root) make install.

-6- Now last, unfortunately mplayer won't work because it expects the liblirc_client.so.0 in /usr/lib and lirc places it in /usr/local/lib. So we do (as root) 'ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0 /usr/local/liblirc_client.so.0.

Now all we need is a .lircrc to tell apllications like mplayer what functions to perform when a button is pressed.

begin

prog = mplayer

button = OK

config = quit

end

begin

prog = mplayer

button = Mute

config = mute

end

begin

prog = mplayer

button = MENU

config = osd

end

This is of course only and example. Use these mplayer commands to build a lircrc for your liking. For other aplications much the same goes.

Have fun with your remote :)

• 3 weeks later...

devries, I would LOVE to have fun with my remote, I've been trying for over a month now to make it work. I've tried you're procedure and still get the "could not connect to socket" & "Connection refused" messages when bringing up mplayer. The only difference being that I'm using the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel that came with Mandrake 10 Official. Do I have to change kernels?

irw works fine with the remote, however irkick doesn't work, it just puts an icon with a red x over it in the taskbar.

Thanks for any advice!

Who wouldn't want to have fun with their remotes :)

Anyway:

"could not connect to socket" & "Connection refused"

As far as I can know this error means there are still some old Mandrake lirc remnants on your PC. Do (as root) an 'updatedb' and remove every mention of lirc (locate lirc)(/lib/modules/yourkernel/kernel/3tparty/lirc /usr/bin/lircd etc etc, /dev/lirc*.

Then try again building and loading the module. If all fails you can try another kernel. (the 2 I mentiones work fine)

Good luck.

PS Do you know if they fixed mplayer (so that it builds without the file editing?). Let me know and I'll edit the HOWTO and safe everybody some time :D Thanks.

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying your suggestions now.

I'm using the latest CVS version of mplayer and yes, it appears they corrected the problem as it compiled without errors and runs fine, I never could get MPlayer-1.0pre5 to compile, I didn't know about your fix.

thanks again for your help.

devries, I did like you said and found other lirc stuff , deleted it all and recompiled LIRC, all went well, but when I "modprobe lirc_i2c" it throws the error:FATAL: Module lirc_i2c not found. And I'm doing this from the directory the new lirc_i2c module that I compiled is located in!

Where is this new lirc_i2c module supposed to be located? It installed lirc_i2c & lirc_dev in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc not /kernel/3rdparty, like before.

And thanks again

Well, It definatly doesn't work on the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel. I created a new installation on a different partition and went through the procedure and when I got to modprobe lirc_i2c it gave the same "fatel error , can't find module"error then locks up the system! Turns out the reason it can't find the module is because /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk is damaged and can't be accessed. It has to be re-created again before I can make a successful re-boot and have the normal modules installed. I've done this so many times I now keep a backup of /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk. I can insmod lirc_dev, but when I insmod lirc_i2c it locks the system.

Guess I'll try installing that 2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk kernel and see what happens.

thanks again for the help.

Do as root depmod -ae and try again.