As to Install Gimp 2.0.1 in Mandrake 10 Community?

luizmdk

:help: me I don't get instaler Gimp 2. 0. 1 in the format RPM nor in the format .tar.gz, when I went try to remove Gimp 1. 2. 5 that it accompanies Mandrake he takes several packages with him :wall:

I am beginner in Linux

I thank who to help me

hi luizmdk!

in order to install gimp2 you need to do some things.

1. you have to set up some ftp-mirrors that have the files you need. don't try downloading tar.gz-files, as there are rpm-files available. so, go to here http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php and set up your mirrors, as explained on that site (using the console. just in case that you don't know what the console is: it is the black-screen symbol found in the "terminals" section of your menus.

2. once all mirrors are set up, open the console and log in as root. this is done in the following way: type "su", then hit enter. the console will ask you for the root password. enter it now. now, you have access to the software management. okay, now type in the console "urpmi gimp2" or "urpmi gimp_2.0". you can also add an "-a", thus writing "urpmi -a gimp2" and the console will list all the files available, including plugins. you can also select the "software install" section in mcc and type there gimp2. that should also work, but console is faster and if something doesn't work the way it should, you will see which part didn't function.

3. once all is installed, just go to your menu and start gimp2. keep in mind that you can have both gimp 1.2 and 2.0 installed at the same time. the menu will automatically add two separate gimp entries, the newer version named "Gimp v2"

good luck. :)

Edited by arctic