USB Harddrive

liquidzoo

I have a 40GB usb (2.0, but that's not the issue) hard drive that I can't get working at all.

Harddrake recognizes it properly (sda1) and correctly identifies the usb-storage module for it to use, but diskdrake won't let me partition it at all.

I know it has been partitioned, but I'm not sure what fs I used. This drive worked with 9.2. There's no data on it (yet) so I'm not concerned about data loss.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to get it recognized, partitioned, and mounted? Right now, it's just not working. There is no fstab entry for it (yet) and I want it mountable/writable by my user. Not the biggest issue, though. I can set the permissions on the drive after it's been mounted.

fdisk -l doesn't report it at all.

Windows doesn't recognize it, so I think it's formatted ext2 or ext3. My Partition Magic won't start on my laptop. It says my partition table is bad (bs, but whatever). I have not tried mounting it on my laptop, but I need it mounted on my desktop.

Guest MugenAcc99

Liquid -

I have a 200gb external HD and setting it up was a pain. Heres what I would do:

1. Find any type of tool you can to delete the partitions you have now. Easiest way, (though it kinda sucks you have to use it) is to boot up windows xp pro or 2000 and go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management. From there go to Storage->Disk Management. Although Windows will not recgonize and assign a drive letter to a partition with an ext2 or ext3 file system, it will show up in the disk manager (if the hardware is working right). From there you can right click the external HD partition and delete it. Now you have an unpartitioned HD and this, I found, is the easiest to work with in diskdrake.

2. Boot into Linux. Let harddrake autodetect the drive and reassign it as sda1. Then it should bring you to diskdrake where you can format the drive. If diskdrake doesnt work at the begninning when linux is still in text mode, just wait till the system is fully booted and try running diskdrake again. From what I can remember, I ran diskdrake in X11, but if you can do it before then it will be just as easy. I formatted mine as etx3. Because of one of the options in the fstab entry you will have to make for the drive, I would definately go with ext3. After that is all formatted, we have one more thing to do.

3. Now go into your /mnt directory and add a folder named ExternalHD. After this is done, open up your fstab file. Find any entry harddrake put in for sda1 and delete it. Now add:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/ExternalHD ext3 noauto,user,rw 0 0

I had a wierd error when I booted letting the HD automount, so I used the noauto option. User lets users access the drive and I used rw just to make sure the drive is read write. The two 0's at the end of the entry stop dump and fsck from messing with the drive on boot. I think the wierd error I had was becase of fsck and if you have an ext3 fs, fsck doesnt really matter much. I have had no problems from dump or fsck.

Well, good luck with your HD man. I am going to get back to crawling out of dependency hell trying to install Fluxbox. Hopefully what I did with my HD will work for you, but if not, tell me how it went and we can look at it again.

Ok, here's an update:

MugenAcc99: No dice, as we talked about in #musb. The XP disk manager doesn't even detect it.

I downloaded some demo partition managers to try them out. I couldn't get them to actually do anything, but Arconis (spelling might be off) did actually detect that the drive was there, but said there was a problem with sector 0.

fdisk and cfdisk on /dev/sda came back with errors that it wasn't able to access the disk.

So that's where I'm at. I really want access to this drive. I want to format it (vfat) so I can back up my music, but if there's a problem on the disk, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I may end up backing it all up on to cd's (like 40 of them, seriously) but I really don't want to do that. Let me explain what I want to do and maybe there will be an easier way:

I have 19 gigs of unpartitioned space on my main hard drive. This space is right after my music (/mnt/music, vfat) partition. I want to expand that partition using diskdrake to fill the rest of the unpartitioned space. I also don't want to lose any of the data that's currently on the partition, hence the desire to back everything up to my usb hd.

Anyone have a clue here? Can I safely do this without losing any of the data if I unmount the partition and resize it? Any ideas would be helpful.

What is the make and model of the drive? Is it a regular hard drive that was put in one of those ide to usb enclosures? In my experience, fdisk -l will list all partitions on any device that the system recognizes whether mounted or not. Even if the partitions are messed up , fdisk -l will tell you how they are messed up. If you get nothing on fdisk -l, the system isn't recognizing the thing in any meaningful way. Are you sure you have the proper modules loaded? Post the printout of:

# lsmod

[ liquidzoo ]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
isofs                  34360  1
zlib_inflate           22400  1 isofs
sg                     38460  0
st                     39932  0
sr_mod                 18756  0
sd_mod                 21952  0
scsi_mod              117388  4 sg,st,sr_mod,sd_mod
nfsd                  196896  8
exportfs                6176  1 nfsd
parport_pc             34368  1
lp                     12108  0
parport                40328  2 parport_pc,lp
ipv6                  244544  26
snd-seq-midi            8640  0
snd-emu10k1-synth       7808  0
snd-emux-synth         37920  1 snd-emu10k1-synth
snd-seq-virmidi         7392  1 snd-emux-synth
snd-seq-midi-emul       8512  1 snd-emux-synth
snd-seq-oss            33600  0
snd-seq-midi-event      7584  3 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-seq-oss
snd-seq                51888  8 snd-seq-midi,snd-emux-synth,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-seq-midi-emul,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
snd-pcm-oss            54984  0
snd-mixer-oss          19616  2 snd-pcm-oss
snd-emu10k1            97032  4 snd-emu10k1-synth
snd-rawmidi            24484  3 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-emu10k1
snd-pcm                95720  2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-emu10k1
snd-timer              25028  2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
snd-seq-device          8200  7 snd-seq-midi,snd-emu10k1-synth,snd-emux-synth,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi
snd-ac97-codec         69412  1 snd-emu10k1
snd-page-alloc         11720  2 snd-emu10k1,snd-pcm
snd-util-mem            4640  2 snd-emux-synth,snd-emu10k1
snd-hwdep               9156  2 snd-emux-synth,snd-emu10k1
snd                    55620  20 snd-seq-midi,snd-emux-synth,snd-seq-virmidi,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-seq-device,snd-ac97-codec,snd-util-mem,snd-hwdep
soundcore               9728  2 snd
af_packet              21224  0
w83627hf               28836  0
eeprom                  7752  0
i2c-sensor              2848  2 w83627hf,eeprom
i2c-isa                 1984  0
i2c-viapro              7052  0
i2c-core               23700  5 w83627hf,eeprom,i2c-sensor,i2c-isa,i2c-viapro
raw                     8384  1
ide-floppy             19520  0
ide-tape               36208  0
ide-cd                 41728  1
cdrom                  39452  2 sr_mod,ide-cd
floppy                 59792  0
thermal                12392  0
processor              17192  1 thermal
fan                     3972  0
button                  6288  0
battery                 8836  0
ac                      4772  0
tulip                  46048  0
supermount             39220  2
nls_iso8859-1           4032  2
nls_cp850               4864  1
vfat                   13696  1
fat                    46112  1 vfat
nvidia               4809812  14
via-agp                 8704  1
agpgart                33576  2 via-agp
pcspkr                  3432  0
tsdev                   7776  0
usbmouse                5632  0
evdev                   9664  0
joydev                  9984  0
usbkbd                  7264  0
usbhid                 44416  0
usblp                  12448  1
quickcam              123296  0
videodev                9696  1 quickcam
uhci-hcd               31760  0
ehci-hcd               29604  0
ohci-hcd               21380  0
usbcore               110848  11 usbmouse,usbkbd,usbhid,usblp,quickcam,uhci-hcd,ehci-hcd,ohci-hcd
rtc                    11800  0
reiserfs              266996  5

As a note, the drive is not plugged in at the moment.

The drive is a Maxtor 40GB usb2.0 drive. Bought it from Staples about a year (maybe more) ago. It is correctly identified by harddrake and the usb-storage module is the correct module for a drive like this.

Maybe it's late and I'm a little tired but I don't see the usb storage module loaded there. Try running:

# modprobe usb-storage

# fdisk -l

with the drive connected.

To show you what I'm getting at, here's the relevant printout of my lsmod:

# lsmod | grep usb

usb-storage 72932 0

scsi_mod 114648 5 sg,sd_mod,sr_mod,ide-scsi,usb-storage

usbcore 99132 5 usb-storage,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd

I don't think you have the module loaded and you also seem to have a lot on that usb bus(both uhci and ohci modules). I take it you have a usb expansion card which typically uses the ohci module if it's not intel based. See what results you get with the above. You may have to move that drive to a different usb port to get it to work.

My lsmod output was with my external hard drive disconnected as well. I notice your running 10.1 beta which might explain the problem right there. I was going to download 10.1 and give it a try. I let you know if I have problems with my usb drive; it might be a hotplugging bug.

Other than beta weirdness, I'd check my cabling and try different usb ports. I assume you've verified that the drive is working properly on another box.