FATAL: Module w83627hf not found.

papaschtroumpf

The motherboard in my linux machine died, so I decided to upgrade it (now a Shuttle AK35GT2).

when I do a sensors-detect it tells me that I need to do "modprobe w83627hf", but when I do that I get "FATAL: Module w83627hf not found."

I read somewhere that someone with the same problem solved it by installing lm_sensors-2.8.5. I have 2.8.4-2 (note that the guy on the internet had 2.8.7, so for him it was a downgrade). something about kernel version vs lm_sensors version. I have kernel 2.6.3-7mdk like he did.

So the question is: why do I get this error?

If I can't get this question answered, where can I find v2.8.5 of lm_sensors (couldn't find it in PLF). I could find some Fedora rpm but I don;t know if they're compatible with mdk 10.

I could install from source but then urpmi "looses track" ofthe version of lm_sensors and gets me hell in the future.

Well, this confirms that I need version 2.8.5 and nothing else: (from the lm_sensors page)

Early 2.6 kernels (2.6.0 to 2.6.5)

Naming and magnitude standards for sysfs data was just stabilizing in early 2.6 kernels. As a result, we did our best to ensure that lm_sensors was compatible with the kernel state at any given state, and released often. This also means that each version of lm_sensors from 2.8.2 (the first 2.6 kernel compatible release) to 2.8.5 only work properly for a limited range of kernel versions.

Recommended kernel and lm_sensors combinations:

Kernels 2.6.5-rc1 and later: lm_sensors 2.8.6 or any later version

Kernels 2.6.3-rc2 to 2.6.4: lm_sensors 2.8.5

Kernels 2.6.2-rc1 to 2.6.3-rc1: lm_sensors 2.8.4

Kernels 2.6.1-rc1 to 2.6.1: lm_sensors 2.8.3

Kernels 2.6.0 and earlier: lm_sensors 2.8.2

Note that you should really stick to the exact version of lm_sensors we recommend, since newer versions usually do not support older (nor later, of course) kernels properly. This results in data not found, or off by factors of 10, in 'sensors'.

Also note that several distributions are lying about the kernel they ship, and a 2.6.x kernel package may actually be built from 2.6.(x+1)-rc kernel sources. If you get broken readings, simply try the next lm_sensors release.

and from the lm_sensors freshmeat web site for 2.8.5:

Changes:

Support for the Winbond W83637HF has been added, and fixes have been made to a dozen drivers. The sensors-detect script has been improved (mainly the Super IO part). Some cleanups have been made to the library as well. This release is mainly meant for Linux 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 users, with updated support for the w83l785ts driver in libsensors, among other changes.

I can't find a mdk rpm of v2.8.5, what is the next best solution? If I build from source, will it screw up urpmi like I suspect?

Can I use RedHat or Fedora packages? (those are available).

Thanks

Edited by papaschtroumpf

I guess I can;t figure out how to install it from source. I type make all but it stops before the end. The instructions on how to build it are old (they reference 2.2 kernel) and it looks like I need the entire kernel tree to build lm_sensors?

Can I use a red hat or fedora rpm instead?

Forgotten how I did it last time, but install from source is usually: untar using ark, sending it to a new-made directory, cd to the lm_sensors folder in that dir, then:

./'configure

make

su

<password>

make install (or checkinstall - will get an rpm you can use next install, if ever).

You would have installed i2c first, of course.

I still can't get this working!

Here's what I did:

urpme lm_sensors

downloaded lm_sensors-2.8.5 source tar

extracted tar file

su

make clean

make user

make user_install

so far so good no errors or anything. the user install tells me to add /usr/loca/lib to /etc/lib.so.conf wich I did.

I then run lm_sensors, using all the default answers.

I tells me to add "alias char-major-89 i2c-dev" which I did

the it tells me I'll need to do:

modprobe i2c-isa

modprobe w83627hf

but when I do the "modprobe w83627hf" I get the same dreaded "FATAL: Module w83627hf not found."

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, doing a sensors -v does show 2.8.5 so it looks like it was compiled properly.

I really want to get this working but I'm not sure what to try next.

• 1 month later...

I still can't get this to work. I'm guessing I'm not building lm_sensors properly or something like that because I would have expected slocate w83627hf to find a file named w83627hf.ko.gz, all I get is w83627hf_wdt.ko.gz. I think the _wdt at the end denotes watchdog timer capability which may be built in the chip but is not what I want.

Can anyone confirm I should be seeing a w83627hf_wdt.ko.gz file (somewhere inside of /lib/modules is my guess).

I have upgraded to kernel 2.6.3-16mdk since my previous attempt but it makes no difference.

Do I need to specifically build the w83627hf? how do I do that?

Weird!?!?!? doing a search on the internet I ran accross a page where someone talks about the driver for W83627HF being w83781d instead of w83627hf for his kernel before 2.6.6 and then changing to w83627hf in kernel 2.6.6

so I tried modprobe w83781d and it didn't complain.

sensors then returns:

[root@Mandrake lm_sensors-2.8.5]# sensors
w83697hf-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore:     +1.66 V  (min =  +2.72 V, max =  +0.26 V)       ALARM
+3.3V:     +3.25 V  (min =  +1.34 V, max =  +3.33 V)
+5V:       +5.03 V  (min =  +0.22 V, max =  +3.47 V)       ALARM
+12V:     +12.46 V  (min = +12.89 V, max =  +7.66 V)       ALARM
-12V:     -12.20 V  (min =  -9.56 V, max = -11.54 V)       ALARM
-5V:       -5.05 V  (min =  -6.20 V, max =  -4.70 V)
V5SB:      +5.51 V  (min =  +2.18 V, max =  +2.15 V)
VBat:      +3.22 V  (min =  +1.18 V, max =  +1.94 V)
fan1:        0 RPM  (min = 5273 RPM, div = 2)              ALARM
fan2:        0 RPM  (min = 6683 RPM, div = 2)              ALARM
temp1:       +32°C  (high =   +16°C, hyst =   -94°C)   sensor = thermistor   ALARM
temp2:     +44.5°C  (high =   +56°C, hyst =   +51°C)   sensor = thermistor      
alarms:
beep_enable:
         Sound alarm disabled

which all seems believable (I'm doing this remotely so I can't reboot the machine to compare with the BIOS values right now), the voltage readings seem reasonable (what are not are the min/max but I think that's just a sensors.conf issue), the temperatures also seem believable if temp1 is case and temp2 is CPU.

I'm too suprised by the 0 RPM on the fans either because I use a Zalman setup with a low speed fan setting (like 1200rpm) and often the slower rotation is not properly detected by the BIOS.

So should I simply use w83781d instead of w83627hf which is suggested by sensors-detect?

Any risk of "breaking" something?

did I just solve my problem????

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Try 'depmod -ae' before you do 'modprobe'. Or try 'make reinstall' (in the folder where you build lm_sensors).

Well a driver can lock your system if it's not working correctly. Leave it running for a few hours, see what it does.

Good luck

Edited by devries

Now that I know about "w83781d", I found the following information, mostly here: http://secure.netroedge.com/%7Elm78/kernel26.html

Kernel driver `w83781d.o'

=========================

W83782D support is complete and well-tested.

W83783S support is complete but has not been well-tested.

W83791D support is BETA.

W83627HF support is complete but has not been well-tested.

W83697HF support is complete but has not been well-tested.

AS99127F support is BETA and has known problems due to lack of a

chip datasheet. SEE BELOW.

Kernel driver `w83627hf.o'

=========================

This driver implements support for ISA accesses *only* for

the Winbond W83627HF, W83627THF, W83697HF and W83637HF Super I/O chips.

We will refer to them collectively as Winbond chips.

This driver supports ISA accesses, which should be more reliable

than i2c accesses. Also, for Tyan boards which contain both a

Super I/O chip and a second i2c-only Winbond chip (often a W83782D),

using this driver will avoid i2c address conflicts and complex

initialization that were required in the w83781d driver

(lm_sensors releases 2.7.0 and earlier).

If you really want i2c accesses for these Super I/O chips,

use the w83781d driver. However this is not the preferred method

now that this ISA driver has been developed.

So it looks like I'm OK with w83781d for now. I'll have to start over when I upgrade to a hight 2.6.x kernel later (e.g. 2.6.8 if I go with mdk 10.1)

The values you finally got are right along the range of the values in both of my Athlon XP boards here. One is a km266 and the other very similar, but a km400. As for the expected ranges displayed and the ALARMs that are active, that's a load of crap. I don't know where those expected ranges came from, but the actual values look good.

The expected values are wrong because the modprobe version isn't for the hardware being used, I guess.

If I misunderstood something in your sensor s data display, forgive me.

Edited by rdbrooks