Major Hardware issue: System keeps freezing

tsw

Major Hardware issue: System keeps freezing ( post #1)

Mobo: Machspeed V4MDMP

Via km400 chipset

512MB RAM

HD: 60GB westerndig

Mandrake 10 official

nvidia mx 440

I recently built this computer and at first what I thought was an issue with the NVidia card causing the computer to lock up completely, may actually be something a bit more sinister. Here is the link to my original thread.

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17137

The first problem came when trying to compile the nVidia drivers into the kernel. The computer would lock up and lock me out when the sh program tried to load the module into the kernel. Tonight I tried to recompile my kernel to add support for my AMD processor and the same thing happens when I try to "make bzimage" or "make" with the kernel. Keep in mind that the system still freezes even when being ran normally.

The memory tested out OK with memtest86 and I have tried passing "noapic noacpi nolapic" options to the kernel but nothing seems to change in the behavior of the system.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might track down this problem I would really appreciate. I dumped what cash I could on this box so I am kind of stuck with it ( read: I really need to get this up and running so I can get back to work ). Thanks for responding.

tsw

I had a similiar problem with my mobo its a N2U400-A and it has a nforce chipset too.

If those options don't fix it for you then you may want to try fedora. That fixed all my problems of freezing by switching to that distrobution.

Then again, I never tried to update my nvidia chipset drivers cause when I checked on their official site, they only supported the 2.4 kernel.

It may be the KM chipset. I run 10.0 CE Powerpack and only have experience with nForce2 and Via KT series chipsets. The KM series may be too new for Linux support, and it takes a while before that shows up in distros.

My current mobo (see signature) has the nForce2 chipset. My first nVidia card was the GeForce 4 MX440SE 4X agp, dual vga. The 10.0 Powerpack supports the chipset even in the enterprise kernel, and also automatically and correctly configures the nVidia card during the post install process. It even does this for my current nVidia card. This alone makes the Powerpack worth getting.

As i said, I suspect it is you chipset, and the nVidia card may not play nicely with it, as well.

Thanks to everyone who replied. This problem is resolved. It was entirely hardware related. The new motherboard that I installed had a short in it. Amazing what a little misdirected electricity can accomplish. The board was replaced and everything is working as it should.

tsw