Help with Mandrake 8.1

ncb

Hey I'm still running Mandrake 8.1... shame shame, but I don't really want to dish out money for another set of cds like I did to the old site MandrakeUser.org for these. I'm also not on a broadband connection so it isn't really an option for me to download iso's.

My floppy drive doesn't work, and if I remember correctly this has been a problem in the past. How can I go about correcting this. When I right click the icon and click Mount I get 'could not mount device reported error was: Mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device

It would be really nice to be able to correct this as I would like to be able to backup files, thanks.

Hey I'm still running Mandrake 8.1... shame shame, but I don't really want to dish out money for another set of cds like I did to the old site MandrakeUser.org for these.  I'm also not on a broadband connection so it isn't really an option for me to download iso's.

My floppy drive doesn't work, and if I remember correctly this has been a problem in the past.  How can I go about correcting this.  When I right click the icon and click Mount I get 'could not mount device reported error was:  Mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device

It would be really nice to be able to correct this as I would like to be able to backup files, thanks.

Hey, don't feel ashamed - I am still running 8.2 and was running 6.1 till recently :D .

I don't know much about this particular problem - on my 8.2 system, reboot usually fixes problems with floppy/CD mount/automount :woops: However, could this article be useful?

http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/1430

When this happened to me:

1) I verifyed that the fstab entry was correct

2) I turned off super mount as it was a super goof at that point in time

3) I made sure that the hardware was indeed still working. Watch the lights at boot time.

The fact that the device is unknown leads me to believe that your floppy might be gone. Check the cable, power plug, and the lights. And then invest in a cdrw for back up! :thumbs: