Automounting the CDs

klemm

Hi

A quick question

I am running Mandrake 10 Official

Now suddely it does not any more mount automatically the CD-s while they are inserted in.

It was working perfectly before.

Where to look at, what settings or what can influence it. I even dont recall my memory when it stopped working. My wife just claimed that "Hei it is still not working" ?

Any advise, where to dig ?

Kristjan

From a terminal as root type:

supermount -i enable

In mkd10, cd automounting is no longer through supermount; they use magicdev instead. Supermount is only used for floppy automounting. I wouldn't globally enable supermount which is what the above quoted code would do.

First check to see if magicdev is running with:

$ ps aux | grep magicdev

If it is make sure the cds are not really automounting. It might be that the cd icon is just not appearing on the desktop but the cd is being mounted. In konqueror, navigate to /mnt/cdrom and see if you can see the contents of the cd.

On the half way,

running $ ps aux | grep magicdev

results:

kkl      4044  0.1  3.1 14488 6024 ?        S    20:07  0:00 magicdev

root      4255  0.0  0.3  1940  652 pts2    S    20:12  0:00 grep magicdev

Also enabled the supermount, and it now mounts automatically one CR-R device

Nothing happnes when CD is inserted into the othe CD-RW (burner) device

Kristjan

Post your /etc/fstab file.

Magicdev is running on your system. To see if it's working, try disabling supermount and going to the cd mount points listed in fstab(usually /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 if you have two drives) and see if you can see the contents of a cd after you insert one in each drive. To disable supermount, run:

# supermount -i disable

To renable supermount, run:

# supermount -i enable

after inserting the cds to both devices the directories /mnt/cdrom/ & /mnt/cdrom2/ remain empty.

/etc/fstab :

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /home/xxxl/arhiiv/ ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sr1	/mnt/cdrom	auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev,exec	0 0
/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	auto codepage=850,sync,unhide,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev	0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

This looks pretty screwed up. You don't have an entry for your second cd drive in fstab so it's not working. Your listed cd drive in fstab is running under scsi emulation which is not right if your using the 2.6 kernel.

To fix this, I need to see the following:

1. The output of:

$ uname -a

That will tell me if your running the 2.6 kernel.

2. Your /etc/lilo.conf file. That's where scsi emulation is setup.

3. Your ide configuration, i.e. where your cd drives are at on the ide bus.

In linux, drives on the ide bus are named as follows:

hda - ide1 master

hdb - ide1 slave

hdc - ide2 master

hdd - ide2 slave

Your hard drive is on ide1 master(hda) as listed in your fstab. If I know where your cd drives are, I can tell you how to edit fstab to get things setup correctly. Example, if you have your dvd drive slaved to your hard drive, it would be hdb in linux. If your cd writer is on the other ide channel as master, it would be hdc.

That could be that I have screwed some settings switching wetbeen 2.4 and 2.6 kernel after I installed the system. I recall that then I was asked several questions about CD devices where I accepted all what was offered without knowing what.

1. The output of:

$ uname -a

Linux plaza 2.6.3-13mdk #1 Tue May 18 18:49:17 EDT 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

2. Your /etc/lilo.conf file. That's where scsi emulation is setup.

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/ee-latin9.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-13mdk
label="linux"
root=/dev/hda1
read-only
optional
vga=788
append="noisapnp devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-13mdk.img

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux-nonfb"
root=/dev/hda1
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="failsafe"
root=/dev/hda1
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"
read-only

other=/dev/fd0
label="floppy"
unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-5mdk
label=2425-5
root=/dev/hda1
read-only
optional
vga=788
append="noisapnp devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-5mdk.img

3. Your ide configuration, i.e. where your cd drives are at on the ide bus.

In linux, drives on the ide bus are named as follows:

hda - ide1 master / primary HD 40G

hdb - ide1 slave / old secondary HD with 6G

hdc - ide2 master / CDRW device

hdd - ide2 slave / CDR device

Kristjan

Edited by klemm

That explains it. When you updated your kernel lilo was updated to remove scsi emulation but fstab was never updated properly to reflect these changes. Your lilo.conf looks OK. Edit your fstab like so:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda7 /home/xxxl/arhiiv/ ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Make sure you have both /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 in your /mnt directory since those are the designated mount points in fstab. If you don't have a /mnt/cdrom2 you can make it by running:

$ su

<enter root password>

# mkdir /mnt/cdrom2

Reboot and see if it works. Note your cd writer will be on /mnt/cdrom and your dvd drive will be on /mnt/cdrom2. Also, the line for your floppy has been spread across two lines here because of formatting limits on this board but it should really be on one line.

One final thing, before you reboot, run as root:

# lilo -v

Reason being your lilo.conf does not have any drives running under scsi emulation yet you tell me your dvd drive is working with an entry in fstab set for scsi emulation. The only explanation I can think of is that your present lilo.conf was never written to the mbr and lilo is still using the old lilo.conf with scsi emulation enabled. Running the above command will rewrite lilo to the mbr using your current lilo.conf which is set up correctly. If you get any error messages when running lilo -v post back.

Edited by pmpatrick

Magicdev does not seem to be functioning properly. Try uninstalling magicdev and reinstalling it:

# urpme magicdev

# urpmi magicdev

Reboot and see if it works. Also what gui are you using, kde, gnome or something else?

If you can't get magicdev to work, there are a couple options. You can uninstall magicdev again(urpme magicdev) and try using supermount instead(supermount -i enable). The other option is to not use any automounter and create mounting icons on your desktop for your cd drives and floppy. That's pretty easy to do in kde and gnome. When properly setup, you insert a cd in the drive and click on its mounting icon and the cd will be automatically mounted and konqueror or nautilus will open up displaying the contents of the cd. When your done you close konqueror/nautilus, right click on the mounting icon and select "unmount" and remove the cd.

Thank you a lot for your help, I wouldnt got it done without your support.

By the way

The key in my case seems to be the device name not the fact of supermount or magicdev.

half true as only one (CDRW) device started to work (I mean mout automatically) with magicdev and supermount disabled.

I did rerun the harddrake and looked what was proposed. Saved the entries to fstab and enabled supermount.

the CD part of my fstab looks now that

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/sr0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,exec,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,umask=0,nodev 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/sr1,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,exec,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,umask=0,nodev 0 0

Dont ask, but it works with this.

So thanks again pmpatrick

Kristjan

:headbang: