New NVIDIA driver and interesting results

Ixthusdan

Well, I always download the sources, rebuild, and install without any problems. This driver release was interesting.

The first time I installed from rebuilt rpm's, my x server crashed. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but only urpmi could do this. urpme refuses saying that it would break my system! I' m doing all of this from non graphic start up, so now I'm really confused!

I reinstalled my old drivers, and discovered the sym link for glx was not written correctly.

I downloaded and recompiled again. This time the change in the sym link was done, but x ran real slow and crashed! I finally downloaded the pre made rpm's from the NVIDIA sight and everything is perfect!!

So, how do I trace what is wrong with system rebuilding rpm's?

The good news is that 3ddesktop, a really neat desktop switcher, no longer crashes the first time I launch it. At any rate, why can't I rebuild the rpm's? How do I trouble shoot this?

Interesting. Perhaps the bug is in the driver and not my system. I can see that some of this is similar in the kde environment. I chatted with DOlson and he wasn't sure, be said he had had no problems with the new driver. He also thought I should follow the directions on his tutorial. Imagine that, a guy following directions! Get real! :wink:

The way on his tut is the way I've been doing it for a while now. Except, after they're built I install from the compile dir

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA*

How do you do it? and why would a slighly diff way cause probs, unless you're using rpm --rebuild instead of rpmbuild --rebuild?

I started using rpmbuild with the 3123 driver. And started using urpmi with Mandrake 9. But when I ran into the problem, I did both rpmbuild --rebuild and rpm --rebuild, deleting what was made each time before I installed. I also run urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm everytime, as I have found it to be better than rpm -i . I also downloaded the files three times, in case of corruption (DSL is great!) These are the first premade drivers I have used since 7.2! So, I think I know how to do it. But, something is different; I think the sources must have an error. Is that possible?

I haven't tried the new drivers yet but I have found out that it is vitally important to make sure that any reminants of any previous drivers are properly removed before installing new ones. In particular, make sure you use rpm -e to uninstall them and do not use update mode when installing the new drivers.

Glitz.