Easy question...

Guest bpitsenb

Guest bpitsenb

This is a pretty streight foreward problem for the amount of aggrevation that it is causing me.

I'm running Mandrake 9. I recently hooked up my computer to a different monitor than the one that i usually use. This other monitor can't handle the reolution that my old one did. So the problem is that when i start KDE my screen is so warped that i can't even get to any config screens. I know that all i have to do is start up in command prompt only and fix the problem from there. All i need to know is: what is the command to open up the Mandrake configuration for my graphics? Also, while i have your attention, How do i read a simple *.txt file from the command prompt?[/b]

XFdrake

most run this command with --expert

XFdrake --expert

I use

XFdrake --expert --noauto

Open a file with

editor_name file_name

vi open.txt

vim open.txt

pico open.tx

You have to be in the dir for the above, or you can

vim /home/your_name/open.txt

to change dir

cd /home/your_name

to see what's in it

ls -a

then find what you want and

vim open.txt

Here is the simplified command list for vi (the text editor) in case you want to learn it.

shift-i to insert text

esc to exit insert mode

? then some text to search for that text

:w to write the file

:q to quit

There are millions of commands but those are the basics, you can accomplish just about any task with those. Also keep in mind that learning vi is essential, every unix/linux system will have it installed.

BTW pico probably won't be an available command if mandrake9 is installed. Pine/pico is non-gpl and mandrake didn't include it this time. I think you can find the pine packages (which includes pico) on rpmfind.net.

Guest bpitsenb

Thanks for the help. Hopefully next post i make will be made through my linux box. While i'm at it: Does anyone have any idea how to get a U.S robotics winmodem to work in mandrake. Is it even possible? Thanks,

-Blaine Pitsenbarger

While i'm at it: Does anyone have any idea how to get a U.S robotics winmodem to work in mandrake. Is it even possible? Thanks

I'd start another thread. That way, someone with experience with that modem is more likely to see it. State which usr modem as well. I had the 5610B, and it's very easy to set up. Don't ask what I did to it :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen other threads on the robotics modem, take a search peek here and in the old board.

To just see a file from the command prompt, you can..

cat filename

- straight file listing

more filename

- straight file listing with pause. Next screen with space

less filename

- scroll up/down listing of file. Hit Q to quit.