Monitor power save problems

wigimister

i have an hp ze4430us laptop, which i am trying to hook up to an external sony trinitron multiscan e400 monitor. when i plug the monitor into the laptop while linux is running, it works fine, however if it is plugged in at boot, it goes into powersave mode and wont display anythiing. it is only an annoyance because i often have restarted with the monitor plugged in, and i have to restart again with it not plugged in and then plug it in after booting to get it to work, this is not the case with windows, which displays on both monitors. there must be a way for me to keep the monitor plugged in and have linux use it as the display, instead of putting it into powersave mode. :juggle:

i have tried messing with the mdk control center options for monitor, and nothing seemed to make a difference. :cheeky:

thanks for any suggestions you may have. :headbang:

It sounds as though the monitor is being recognised when you plug it in whilst Linux is running but not when you boot up. You could probably adjust your XF86Config file to identify your monitor as an alternative monitor to be used from boot but this may well stop the laptop screen from working. I guess what you need is some way of selecting the monitor to use at boot.

Alternately, is there a key combination (Fn + F4 perhaps) that switches between monitors on your laptop?

Leo