Sound Blaster Extigy external USB + Linux?

Crashdamage

Has anyone gotten an Extigy external USB sound card working in Linux? This is just the thing I need. I downloaded the driver for it from http://www.cs.umass.edu/~cochran/exaudio.tgz but if possible before I actually go buy one I'd like to know what I'm up against and just how well it works. Google wasn't much help, neither is http://opensource.creative.com/, and the instructions at http://www.cs.umass.edu/~cochran/ are pretty sketchy for this dummy...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest membris_khan

Mandrake does not detect Extigy, but you can compile ALSA for Extigy manually, I have Extigy working with USB Audio driver from ALSA but only works two satellites and subwoofer (standard stereo, not 5.1) but I fixed it installing Jack duplicators on subwoofer and now I have working 4 satellites and subwoofer. Before do this, you shold remove all ALSA rpm's.

I tried Exaudio but isn't for dummies!! XD I has not installed it successfully.

(excuse my bad english, I'm spanish :)

Guest membris_khan

alsamixergui doesn't work

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

The driver works fine with aRts and KMix.

To use jack duplicators isn't a bad option, except for DVD's and sorround, as all my music is stereo...

OK, nice to see this finally generated some interest.

A little update...I went ahead and bought an Extigy, and have been trying ot get it working with Cochran's driver. There's no /.configure file included in the tarball, so I just did "make" and ran into a long list of errors.

I've really been working a lot of hours lately and just haven't had tome to try and start sorting this out any further. I'll try to get back to it very soon, and post any errors I can't get past. I hope someone can help...

BTW, Cochran says on his webpage the he doesn't use alsa and dosen't know anything about making an Extigy work with it. His driver is intended to work in stereo only, but does include the microphone input and remote control. As for me, alsa is not an option in this particular installation. I have to make this work with Cochran's driver. Stereo is all I want, and the remote is not needed (but might be cool), but the mic input is a MUST!

Guest membris_khan

I only compiled Exaudio successful, but I have not did work this driver. Devices have to be made and linked manually, I'm losed with this driver. In order to compile Exaudio you need the kernel sources installing the package kernel-sources.

With ALSA you will have Stereo and with aRts you can force it to at least 16 bit. I actually use ALSA :-/