Making a DVD

AussieJohn

Hello Steve. Are we talking about Mandrake10 CDROMS here and not CD downloads here??? I cannot find anywhere on my PRINTED cdroms, any mention of MakeCD.

In fact I find your description very hard to follow because it seems to be generalisation rather than specific to Mandrake 10. For poor dumb buggers like me it is very frustrating.

I have copied each CDROM into a folder titled Mandrake10OE. I did this by copying the entire #1 CDROM and then copying RPMS2, RPMS3, RPMS4 from #2, 3, and 4 cdroms into the same place as RPMS is located. I left out the Boot folder from CDROM2 but I notice that the Boot folder on CDROM1 is empty.

You mention :- "(repeat for each iso) " I guess that would mean for each of the downloaded CDs that are still in ISO format. So In my case then this does not apply. This is where I am getting totally confused because most of the instruction is vague to my case of when I first started this thread about MAKING A BOOTABLE DVD FROM THE 4 CDROM PRINTED SET and not a Downloaded Cd set.

The only iso that I can find is in IMAGES on #1 CDROM and it is titled boot.iso and not just .iso Below is what I have tried and the result

[john@DETHERMY john]$ su

[root@DETHERMY john]# cd /etc/

[root@DETHERMY etc]# mkdir /mnt/iso

mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/iso': File exists

[root@DETHERMY etc]# mkdir /etc/mdk10

mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/mdk10': File exists

[root@DETHERMY etc]# mount -o loop /ALLPICTURES/Mandrake10OE/images/boot.iso /mnt/iso

[root@DETHERMY john]# cp -R /mnt/iso/* /etc/mdk10

[root@DETHERMY john]# umount /mnt/iso

[root@DETHERMY etc]#[root@DETHERMY etc]# mdk10/misc/MakeCD --discsize 4700000000 -t /etc -i /etc -a /etc/mdk10

bash: mdk10/misc/MakeCD: No such file or directory

Steve, you obviously are a very cluey guy and know what you are doing ( a sincere compliment and not sarcasm), so could you please walk me through the procedure in detail just to humour an older fellow.

Hope to hear from you and thanks in advance.

Cheers. John.

I'm sorry, AussieJohn. I spoke without thinking. I've only every actually done this with the directory tree from the mirrors and download CD isos, but not with CDs. I'll have to do some more research in order to give you instructions on how to do it with CDs, which I'm sure is possible.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Thanks a million Steve.

Now I don't feel so much of a dunce after all.

An apology is not necessary, but thanks anyhow. Just the fact that you will be looking into it is reward enough, especially since you are generously donating your time and effort to help (as do many others).

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn: since you have the cd's, you don't want to do the mount -o loop line. That's specifically for mounting ISO's, but you're going to be mounting cd's right?

Just do whatever you normally do to gain access to the cd's (mount them manually - mount /mnt/cdrom - or let mdk mount them for you), and replace /mnt/iso with /mnt/cdrom (assuming /mnt/cdrom is the mount point for your cd's). Be sure to clear out /etc/mdk10. Also note that you won't have to mkdir /mnt/cdrom or (unless you deleted it) the /etc/mdk10 directory.

hope that makes sense :)

also, whatever application you burn the cd's with, be sure to look for an option to make the cd bootable. unlike the mdk10 iso's you already have, this new dvd image may not have the bootable flag set in it.

also, whatever application you burn the cd's with, be sure to look for an option to make the cd bootable.  unlike the mdk10 iso's you already have, this new dvd image may not have the bootable flag set in it.

I use K3B -> Tools -> DVD -> Burn DVD ISO image

I recall that I did actually do this once on 9.0 but my memory is vague and they were download disks. As I remember, I mounted each disk and copied it into a single directory. Inside that directory, there should be a script in the /misc folder called MakeCD and you have to be outside of the folder to run it or the environment variables don't get set right. Try just copying each CD over into the directory and keep your 3 RPMS, RPMS2, RPMS3 directories named whatever they already are, then run the MakeCD script as I mention in the other thread. I really don't think there is a need to create new hdlists unless you add new packages or move all your RPMs to a single subdirectory. If you still need more detailed info I'll try again.

If the MakeCD script is not on your disks, grab the whole /misc directory from here

ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/official/10.0/i586/

and put it in the top level of the new directory you just copied all the CDs to. You need the whole /misc directory structure.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Hello Steve. I did the whole MakeCD routine since it was on the #1 cdrom. All it did was to make an iso for EACH of the CDROMs RPMS sets so I finished up with four isos. It did this despite the fact that I had put the #2,3,4 cdrom RPMS sets along side the #1 cdroms RPMS . See snapshot below.

And no way could I work out how to burn them ALL AS ONE iso for the DVD in either K3B or XCDroast.

And neither of them were very helpful in trying to set them up for Bootable burning.

K3B will only burn one iso so the exercise was largely a waste of time.

I just reread your latest message. Are you saying that I should copy the MakeCD part OUT of the Directory that I created with ALL the 4 cdroms and run it and not run it from WITHIN the directory? While I await your reply on that, I will give that a try.

Well I tried using MakeCD from the #1CDROM via /mnt/misc/MakeCD but still got the same result....4 isos (one for each CDROM disk ???) except that they were numbered 2,3,4 and 5 and iso5 was only about 290MBs so something screwed up in the whole damned thing.

During the whole process there was a lot of crap about mandrake-cooker but what this had to do with it all I do not know. Thinking it had connected to Mandrake cooker ( I am on ADSL and online all the time), I disconnected from online and reran the process again but it made no difference. Even tried putting ALL the individual RPMs into the same RPMS folder. Got a lot of rejections in Konsole because dependencies could not be found !!!!

Will still keep on trying any new suggestions.

Cheers. John.

Nope. What I mean is you will get errors if you try to run the script while you are in the same directory.

[root@laptop omar]# cd /etc/mdk10/misc
[root@laptop omar]# ./MakeCD --discsize 4700000000 -t /etc -i /etc -a /etc/mdk10

will give you errors because your environment variables don't get set right.

While

[root@laptop omar]# cd /etc/
[root@laptop omar]# mdk10/misc/MakeCD --discsize 4700000000 -t /etc -i /etc -a /etc/mdk10

will run fine. Did you make sure you did the --discsize 4700000000 switch? If you don't, it will default to 700MB ISOs instead of one big one.

Well I am giving up for the present. Still does not work out despite slavishly following the instructions and even trying some variations. Thanks for helping, everyone, especially Steve.

Cheers. John.

Hello,

I was going to try the new Alpha version of MDK 10.1 (in VMWare, where I ruined my previous version due to some testing). So I downloaded all of the 10.1 alpha ISOs and tried to follow your guidelines.

Copying all of the data from the ISOs into /etc/mdk10 works fine, however the Makecd does not:

[root@localhost etc]# mdk10/misc/MakeCD --discsize 4700000000 -t /etc -i /etc -a /etc/mdk10
Can't locate attributes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/:mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/:mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux/:mdk10//misc:mdk10//misc/perl5/5.8.5:mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5:mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/:/mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/ mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5//i386-linux-thread-multi mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/ mdk10//misc mdk10//misc/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi mdk10//misc/perl5/5.8.5 mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/i386-linux-thread-multi/ mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/ mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.5 mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.4 mdk10//Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/ /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl . /home/warly/files/cvs/mdk/soft/mkcd/pm/) at mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mkcd/Group.pm line 811.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at mdk10//misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mkcd/Group.pm line 811.
Compilation failed in require at mdk10//misc/mkcd line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at mdk10//misc/mkcd line 30.

Anyone a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sitor

Got it done in the mean time.

I used the dvdiso script. At first it only create an image of 280MB or so. Looking at the CLI feedback, I saw that from a certain point he complained about not having space left in /tmp. I still had the mdk10 dir from the earlier attempt in /etc taking up 1,9 GB, and the / partition was 98% full. When I removed /etc/mdk10 and reran the script it worked.

Simply burned the ISO with K3B and done.

Thanks for the tips in any case. This will help testing 10.1 (did already try the alpha, but certain packages did not install, so I could not even boot into KDE, have already issued a bug report on that). Needed this to work first, because being still a newb, I prefer installation from CD (or DVD), and I was not going to burn CD-R's at each new version (images are too big for CD-RW), but if I can do it on DVD+RW, I can reuse the same disk over and over.

Thanks for the help,

sitor

Edited by sitor