Linux on a Dell

liquidzoo

I am thinking about buying a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop soon, I was wondering if anyone has had luck installing Mandrake on this particular laptop. I have checked www.linux-laptop.net but I only find info on the Inspiron 8100. Does anyone have 9.0 up and running on this laptop? If so, is there anything I need to watch out for?

edited to fix the link

Can you order the dell without the hibernation partitions nowadays? When I got my Dell 3 years ago, it came with all the Cd's. What happens if you order a dell now (have a friend planning to get one)? Do you get all the Cd's or does Dell just put everything on the restore partition and too bad so sad if you lose that?

Got my Inspiron 4100 this fall. Came with winXp home CD and MS Works CD (that was the lowest amount of MS software i could get Dell to sell me the notebook with).

Oh, and there was no hibernate and no restore partitions. Just one big 30gig partition for windoze to bloat in :D

I was just about ready to purchase a dell 8200 online but then they discontinued the 64MB Geforce4 440 GO graphics option. Now you either have to get the 64MB radeon 9000 mobile or the 32MB NV17 graphics option.

Glitz.

I'm still going to get the 8200, I think it looks like a good, stable laptop. I agree that it would be better with the 64 MB GeForce 4, but I'm ok with the 32 MB version. I have no experience with ATI cards, I've only owned nvidia chips so I don't think I'll go that way.