Mandrake 10 - Black Screen on Boot

Apoc

As the title suggests.

Synopsis:

I have successfully installed Mandrake 10 on my old Athlon 1800, which has only crashed once when i removed the CPU fan while running and overheating.. hehe. I decided to replace windows on my main box (cos its never been properly stable since XP SP2 Beta... pah.

System:

iiayama 754 master pro thingy monitor

1GB Ram

500GB HD's (120, 160, 80, 80, 60 ) but after problems only the 1st 120 is plugged in.

DVD-RW (pioneer)

128 or 256 Radeon 9600 GFX

TV Tuner card

Skystar 2 PCI Satellite card

(Firewire / usb / ethernet / audio blaster gold thingy sound card etc etc)

Right install sorks fine. No errors. Lilo installs fine and gives me lots of boot options and selects the >64GB one as default.

None of the GUI modes will boot at all. they seem to work and (on selecting interactive) get to the SSHD section that completes ok then black screen. Its as though the monitor can't get signal info from PC (but it doesn't turn off.. so its as though it can't display the signal it is getting.) That was with the resolution at 1600*1200 (same as when i ran XP) in the test screen on install this was fine. Tried again on a new install at 1200*whatever and the same.. seems to be a GFX thing (as this is the monitor i use on the other Mandrake box i have).

Any ideas all the other solutions tend towards nvidia, any help pointers etc. The other solution i found was for memory, but the install works sweetly all 4 times i've done it on this box now (2 were due to user error doh).

Cheers

Apoc

Radeon seems to be problamatic when it comes to Linux. Nvidia offers better support for Linux. There are a couple of posts about this card you can have a look at. Maybe even try the offical Radeon driver. I remember it takes quite a bit of work to get it working. Sorry it is not much of an answer, but best I can do.

Use the genaric VGA driver instead of the Nvidia one. This is the driver used for the GUI install and should still work after the install.

After that you can ofcource try switching to the genaric nvidia driver that comes with Mandrake first and if that doesn't work you can also try installing the Nvidia driver from their website.

Also remember windows is odd. So somethings don't directly translate into linux from windows.

Try using a 800x600 resolution.

Try using a genaric monitor settings instead of the manufacturers ones listed in the install.

Remember to test the configuration at the end of the install untill you find a usable setting.

Shoot low untill your up and running.

Took me a week to figure out the new kernel and the Nidia drivers drop off my normally high resolution for my monitor. I eventually had to test different settings out in the custom monitor area.

All,

thanks for help an suggestions. I eventually used the:

[esc] linux 3 [enter]

method to get to the command prompt. From here i did the following (after a bit of googling for drivers and help):

login as root, change to tmp directory:

wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/firegl/fglrx-g...-3.2.8.i586.rpm

rpm -Uhi --force fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8.i586.rpm

(now i had errors here due to source which i can sort out easier now i don't have to use command line as much)

fglrxconfig

most were the defaults apart from the horizontal sync being 30-132 and vertical being 50-200 then i could select the 1600*1200 resolution.

Cross fingers and:

startx

hey presto it worked.

probably more of a fudge than a fix but i can progress from here now i hope..

Cheers guys

APOC