LinkSys HPN200SK - Phoneline Network Card

Steve Scrimpshire

Hi,

I have Mandrake 8.1 and was using a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel because the Mandrake 2.4.x kernels won't boot on my machine because of the Kadoka MoBo. Anyway, one alternate Linux distribution site (VooDoo) said that this card could work with the pcnet32.o drivers. I tried to compile that module into the running kernel I had and then modprobe pcnet32 but it said 'insmod failed....YADAYADA....could be bad I/O or IRQ values'. I have tried changing PCI slots but to no avail. It works in Windows98SE no matter which slot I try it in (the docs on the card said that it had to be a master slot and that newer machines like mine probably have all slots act as master). It showed up under 'Other devices' as unknown in my 2.4.18 kernel, but I could not view /proc/bus/* (apparently because of some option I compiled into the kernel that placed nothing useful there). Anyway...I was going to reinstall Linux anyway due to various other problems I created for myself and I hoped that it would recognize the card for me, but no dice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Steve

In case anyone can still help me, I think it has something to do with the fact that, in Windows 98SE, my ethernet card shares an IRQ with my soundcard (IRQ 9) and I think one other device. It shows my soundcard in Linux as having IRQ 9 and I don't know if it is possible to share resources in Linux. Is there a command I can give with modprobe to load the driver and have it share the IRQ or use another (I know this is probably an ignorant question)?

(Part of the modprobe error does say 'Device or resource busy')

Thanks again.

Hi Steve,

I believe you got some bad information on the other site. I don't believe that pcnet32.o driver will work with your card. AFAIK, that driver works with HPNA 1.0 cards that use an AMD communications chip. Again AFAIK, all HPNA 2.0 pci cards have standardized on a Broadcom chip, something like BRCM 42xx. I believe the largest chip on your cards will have something like that written on them. Anyway, Linksys has beta Linux drivers for your card on their FTP site. The Linksys driver worked for me in 8.2 using the default MDK kernel and is working now in 9.0 with the 2.4.19-16mdk kernel. I have Intel Anypoint HPNA 2.0 pci cards that Intel no longer sells. I use the Linksys driver because AFAIK they are the only mfg. that bothered to support their Linux customers with a driver, beta or otherwise. Here are a couple of links that helped me:

http://www.homepna.org/support/faqs.html

http://home.eznet.net/%7Erlmsmw/hpna/

HTH

jj