Which broadband with Mandrake 10OE?

Dustpuppy

I'm soon going to be moving out from the cosy world of college internet access to the Big Wide World of broadband, and I'm thinking that I haven't a clue how to connect using Mandrake.

Last time I used broadband (from OneTel), I was using XP and just took the modem out of the box, plugged it into the usb port and then stuck the CD in the drive. I'm guessing that the CD wouldn't work on Mandrake, so how would I get on line? I'm thinking of using OneTel again, but will I be able to connect with them? As far as I can tell, all the main providers give out usb modems - will that work OK?

Basically, what do I need to do to get broadband working with Mandrake in the UK?

Thanks!

I'm soon going to be moving out from the cosy world of college internet access to the Big Wide World of broadband, and I'm thinking that I haven't a clue how to connect using Mandrake.

Last time I used broadband (from OneTel), I was using XP and just took the modem out of the box, plugged it into the usb port and then stuck the CD in the drive. I'm guessing that the CD wouldn't work on Mandrake, so how would I get on line? I'm thinking of using OneTel again, but will I be able to connect with them? As far as I can tell, all the main providers give out usb modems - will that work OK?

Basically, what do I need to do to get broadband working with Mandrake in the UK?

Thanks!

If at all possible skip the USB modem and get an ethernet-based model, best bet would be to get some kind of hardware firewall (I use a Linksys BEFSX41 which has an actual firewall with stateful packet inspection, not just running NAT, but I am also a paranoid network admin, so your mile may vary :wall: ). So basically from the wall, to the DSL or cable modem, to the router/firewall to your PC. You can set up your connection in the router and eliminate the need for the CD from the ISP. Once you pick an ISP and get an idea what hardware they offer I'm sure lots of folks will have opinions.

Of course, you could also do this with a spare PC and any number of nice .NIX based firewall/ routers.

Guest lakair

Thanks!

I have used Mandrake 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 & 10.0 CE with an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem connecting to BTOpenworld adsl (its called 'BT Yahoo Broadband' now I think). This has always been quite easy to setup as Mandrake recognizes this modem, there is also a lot of information on the internet to tell you how to setup this modem with linux manually.

However, I now use Mandrake 10.0 OE and have ditched the USB modem for a Router/adsl modem (Netgear DG834G). Connecting over ethernet to some sort of router/modem/firewall is by far the most straight forward connection method and takes all of the effort out of getting non-MS operating systems to connect to the internet.

If at all possible skip the USB modem and get an ethernet-based model

I fully agree :headbang:

I dont live in the U.K. any longer but a friend of mine does and hes got BTs adsl service with USB modem. I have been trying to get him to use linux for a long time and now hes tried 10 official just to find it impossible to get his USB modem to work so hes back in window$ :wall: , so whatever ISP you choose, make sure you get a router or anything else ethernet-based.

IMHO:

Ethernet ---> Networking

USB ---> Whatever else ...

:lol2: Good luck !!

Before you splash out on a router, > if < you get the Speedtouch modem free (you do with BTYahoo which I'm using), you may as well try to use that - and save some cash!

This project Speedtouch has taken over from the speedtouchconf project and has got me connected using Mdk10 Official when everything else failed, rpms, scripts, everything. :thumbs:

Follow the instructions exactly and download the microcode you need from the link on the website.

Like I said, its worth a try! :D

Any probs, post back....

D

BTW - BTYahoo download restriction is 30 Gig a month! :headbang:

Edited by Dutch

Before you splash out on a router, > if < you get the Speedtouch modem free (you do with BTYahoo which I'm using), you may as well try to use that - and save some cash!

Is this the same modem that OneTel give out (link in previous post)?

BTW - BTYahoo download restriction is 30 Gig a month!  :headbang:

They're advertising at 15GB/mo at the moment :huh: Anyway, I object to restricted access on principle - the web for the people ! :P