10OE install ruins Dual Boot

frosterrj

I re-installed totally, had diskdrake write the partition, now no boot into windows98 possible. What's the fix for this? Cant seem to locate what I'm looking for using the search function.

I tried fdisk /mbr, but no dice. Is this a clean re-install issue?

Thanks,

Robert

well, what I get is the lilo prompt, choose the win98 option and it goes nowhere (looks like Win98 is booting - splash screen) then hangs, lilo again, then mdk boots. I just checked this by re-adding lilo by doing a rescue from the cd, and trying to re-boot.

I dont remember re-sizing win patitions, but I may have since I had a borked Lindows install. All the windows partitions are automounted and are readable.

I re-installed totally, had diskdrake write the partition, now no boot into windows98 possible. What's the fix for this? Cant seem to locate what I'm looking for using the search function.

This is your Hard Drive BIOS setting being set to AUTO instead of LBA, change it and you'll be able to boot into windows again.

thanks for the response. I checked the bios on my machine, but there is no hard drive geometry settings. The only info present is boot order, and disk size. This is a Dell bios A15 on a latitude CPiA machine. If you have any other info, like alternate bios access keys (I used f2 to get into the settings), I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

R

thanks for the response. I checked the bios on my machine, but there is no hard drive geometry settings. The only info present is boot order, and disk size. This is a Dell bios A15 on a latitude CPiA machine. If you have any other info, like alternate bios access keys (I used f2 to get into the settings), I'd be grateful.

Thats why i dont like branded pcs, i wouldnt buy one of those in a thousand years. I really dont know what to do to change the setting on one of those and dont think they got more than one BIOS. Maybe the jumpers on the back of the the Hard Drive? Right there where it says 'Jumper set for Master/single drive'? I think i've seen an LBA jumper there, no sure though...

Otherwise you could have a look into your pc documentation or maybe contact dell...

hard%20drive%20slave%20and%20master%20and%20powera600.jpg

so, should I just re-install CE using existing partition layout, then upgrade (I did complete re-install last time) to OE without changing any of the partitions? Or has something happend that would prevent me from doing that. If I boot into windows now (can only get into safe-mode) I can get to a prompt to do the fdisk /mbr, then restart and get windows to boot.

Where exactly is the piece in OE that causes the problem?

R

Well, my attempt to do an UPGRADE from CE to OE on my other machine went well - no hitches other than it put the older kernel in my lilo config (I had already upgraded to the 2.6.25(?)mdk kernel, but so what. The newest one works still and so does the dual boot to my win partition. Only took 20 minutes. I can live with that.

So, laptop is next. Do the QC guys at Mandrakesoft ever test this kind of stuff?? Seems pretty basic. Maybe thier too L33T for win partitions.....lol

Thanks all for the help. Will see if my laptop re-install CE upgrade to OE goes as smoothly and post results.

Robert

OK,

so finally got around to re-installing CE, then doing upgrade to OE. All seems to have worked, and even got my eth0 (initially wired xircom pcmcia) card back, which was totally hosed after doing a clean OE install. This time when installing CE, it did format my / and /home partitions to erase the data, but did NOT change sizes. On OE upgrade, only packages were upgraded, so no partition table issues.

Dual boot works. My DWL-650 using Driverloader and newest WinXP drivers also works (even automagically on boot!) and I can even SEND (so far) e-mail using Evolution. Previously I could only receive (using sbc yahoo dsl) and could not even get a browser to open the web-based version of my mail account.

So, so far, I have had too much success, and am waiting for some disaster to take me back to square one! LOL.

Robert