10CE won't shutdown

Leo

I had 10 CE working fine but had to reinstall, now I cannot get it to shutdown. I have tried shutting down from both GUI and CL.

When I view the messages at shuitdown it always hangs after:

Stopping hotplug: ohci_hcd 0000:00:07.4 : remove, state 1
usb usb1: USB disconnect, address 1
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 6
drivers /usb/class/usblp.c:usblp0:removed
ohci_hcd 0000:00:07.4 : USB bus1 deregistered

I have three usb ports a 4 port hub is in one and a printer in another. The hub has a graphic tablet/mouse attached.

The pc is Gateway athlon 750 (quite old) and previously ran 9.0

Thanks for your help

Leo

Edited by Leo

Did you ever have problems with this configuration in 9.0?

I'm wondering if you'd be able to bring down the usb manually to see if that's the problem ("service usb_something?? stop"); maybe if your computer takes smaller bites, it wouldn't choke. ;)

Also, which kernel are you using? I wonder if an older one, like the one you used in 9.0 at least, would work successfully.

Sorry if these seem intuitive; I just don't know what you've already tried.

I had 10 CE working fine but had to reinstall, now I cannot get it to shutdown. I have tried shutting down from both GUI and CL.

When I view the messages at shuitdown it always hangs after:

Stopping hotplug: ohci_hcd 0000:00:07.4 : remove, state 1<!--QuoteEBegin-->usb usb1: USB disconnect, address 1<!--QuoteEBegin-->usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2<!--QuoteEBegin-->usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, address 4<!--QuoteEBegin-->usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 6<!--QuoteEBegin-->drivers /usb/class/usblp.c:usblp0:removed<!--QuoteEBegin-->ohci_hcd 0000:00:07.4 : USB bus1 deregistered

I have three usb ports a 4 port hub is in one and a printer in another. The hub has a graphic tablet/mouse attached.

The pc is Gateway athlon 750 (quite old) and previously ran 9.0

Thanks for your help

Leo

update madrake and all will be fine.

Did you ever have problems with this configuration in 9.0?

I'm wondering if you'd be able to bring down the usb manually to see if that's the problem ("service usb_something?? stop"); maybe if your computer takes smaller bites, it wouldn't choke. ;)

Also, which kernel are you using?  I wonder if an older one, like the one you used in 9.0 at least, would work successfully.

Sorry if these seem intuitive; I just don't know what you've already tried.

I tried bringdown usb and it just hung, the kernel is 2.6.3, as you suggest, I guess the previous kernel would work but I know that this one does work because I had no problems with it the first time I installed it (I am just peeved that it doesn't work now). I am going to try illogical-als suggestion around the update but I am only on 56K dial up and it cuts out every 2 hours so it could take a while, I was hoping to find out what was causing it in order to speed up the process.

Thank you both for your help.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bugfix for hotplug from the Mandrake Updates and now it all shuts down perfectly.

Thank you to both Andrewski and illogic-al for their help.

My learning point from this is to always check the updates before complaining.