Solved

Linux Newbie

I recently installed Mandrake Linux on my PC and I need help installing Java. I went to

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ASP/contribs/...-1asp.i386.html

and clicked the "j2re-java-plugin-1.4.2_02-1asp RPM for i386". I saved it to home, double clicked to install, and put in the password root. Then I get the message that says

"You are about to install the following software package on your computer:

/home/tchen/Java/j2re-java-plugin-1.4.2_02-1asp.i386.rpm

You may prefer to just save it. What is your choice? "

I click install, then I get this: "Some package requested cannot be installed:

j2re-java-plugin-1.4.2_02-1asp.i386 (due to unsatisfied j2re)

do you agree ? "

So where do I get the j2re java plugin? I'm just a newbie at this stuff (obviously) so I don't think I can handle too much. Is there an idiot proof version somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I use Mozilla, not Konqueror.

Edit: I see the problem now.... my browser closes every time I try to open a web page containing a Java Applet because I copied the links, and didn't make them through the terminal... so I have to get rid of the links from roland's package.

Edited by Linux Newbie

Sorry but I think this package

ftp://mandrakeusers.com/pub/Misc/j2re-1.4.2_01-1mdk.i586.rpm

is easier to install than the sun's one: nothing to do.

[at least it's the impression I had the last time: I tried to install the sun one, it didn't work, then I installed the one above, it worked]  :unsure:

Might be an easier install but does it create the links to your browsers? That was the most tedious part to me.

Edited by xbob

I downloaded the package roland recommended, then installed it, then installed the Java plugin, but when I try to open a site with Java applets, my browser closes. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the automatically created links from roland's package.

Edited by Linux Newbie

From the tutorial in the FAQ section

Now, in order to be able to use Java in browsers, such as Mozilla, Galeon, and so forth, you must complete these additional steps:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins/

If you got the J2RE, use this command:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

If you got the J2SDK, use this command:

ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

edit: additional information

On Linux, Mozilla requires JRE 1.4.2 or later.

Mozilla 1.4 and later, and Mozilla Firebird, are compiled with gcc 3.2.3. A gcc 3.x compatible version of the Java plugin must be used. JRE 1.4.2 contains a compatible plugin.

If you installed the JRE 1.4.2_01 RPM, this plugin is /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so - and to install it for Mozilla (including Mozilla Firebird), do the following:

* Open a terminal

* Change to your Mozilla (or Mozilla Firebird) plugins directory

* Issue the following command: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

If you are using an older Linux distribution, you may need to install the gcc3 support libraries, as the gcc 3.2 version of the Java plugin requires libgcc_s.so.1 to operate. You may be able to find packages using Google.

If you are using an old or unofficial build of Mozilla (1.4a or later) or Mozilla Firebird, you can check which compiler was used by entering about:buildconfig in the location bar and pressing enter. You will see a line such as "gcc version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)", which will show the compiler that was used. If gcc2.9x was used, you need to use the ns610 plugin, not the ns610-gcc32 plugin.

Now you are done, and you can close the console. Try installing a Java program, such as LimeWire, and it should work just fine.

I know it's a pain but worh the effort, the best way to learn Linux concepts is to figure out (even the hard way) to set up stufff you use every day.