New Nvidia Drivers --Extremely slow boot of X -- (1.0-419)

Guest boonders

Guest boonders

I just installed the new Nvidia drivers that are out, I first rebuilt the source for the kernel, but this caused some problem, and it wouldn't load X windows at all, actually wouldn't load the Nvidia module at all. But, instead I downloaded the prebuilt drivers for Mandrake 9.0 off nvidia's site. It takes approximately 8-10mins for X windows to load now. OpenGL games still run fine, but to start X windows (from the initial blank screen to the Nvidia pop-up screen) it takes 8-10 mins. I have no idea what the problem is, after "startx" I don't get any errors and it doesn't say anything different from the previous norm, it used to only take aboug 10secs to load it to that point before. I don't exactly now where to start, any help?

Thanks!

I always compile both drivers from the sources. As you have already found, the nvidia kernel will not load. I had to go back to the 1-0.3123 drivers. Also, the glx symlink was broken and had to be installed manually. First time I have ever found their drivers to be --lacking.

Guest boonders

I've used the pre-compiled RPMs in the past, and haven't had this loading problem. Like i said, OpenGL still works smooth, it seems something isn't configured right, or needs to be changed specifically for these drivers.

I built both the GLX and kernel .src.rpm packages and had no problems with it. How ever I'd have problems when I used on package i compiled and one precomiled from there website. I also had to uninstall both the pervious 3xxx packages (rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel) to get it to work.