Network issues

Guest heesey1010

Guest heesey1010

I'm not sure if this is my fault or not, but I'm on a wired connection on MDK (i'm using my win laptop right now) and Linux I think detected the ethernet card, because i checked hardware config, and it said ethernet card, altho it gave me a wrong vendor i believe. However, when I put the cable in no internet came up and i tried setting up my connection manually, but that's too confusing, because it doesnt have my vendor's name listed in the drivers to use.

I also noticed that no lights are blinking on the ethernet card....

I will admit that when I had windows i did install this card by myself, but it worked fine, and now its useless?

Please someone help me!!!!!

Guest heesey1010

Well..I only know that it is a Kingston, but since I took it off of another computer, I don't know exactly what the model number is. However, the ethernet card that MDK has recognized is DEC or something...but I couldn't find that in the driver list...

Does Linux come with any generic drivers?

Well..I only know that it is a Kingston, but since I took it off of another computer, I don't know exactly what the model number is. However, the ethernet card that MDK has recognized is DEC or something...but I couldn't find that in the driver list...

Does Linux come with any generic drivers?

A lot of third parties buy chips and rebrand them, chances are good that just becasuse sticker on the card or an entry in the Windows device manager said one thing that the actual chipset might be another. A good number of older 3rd part cards out there have DEC chips, so don't sweat the driver issue so much, give us the basic of your network configuration and general hardware set up.

Guest heesey1010

Ok, well currently i'm on bellsouth dsl meanin westell hispeed modem, and then i have a dlink di524 router. The modem is set on bridged ethernet, and the router on PPPoE.

I am using MDK 10. The computer I'm using is a Compaq Presario 5441. The card, as i mentioned before, was not originally on the computer, but on an old busted one. Before using MDK, it had worked on windows xp, as good as it could get.

Again, no lights are blinking from the card.

Does the card light briefly upon boot up? If not, re-seat the card. Also, make sure the slot is avalable in the bios. Compaq are notorius for turning off unused slots/ports.

Actually, I would reseat the card anyway. The contacts might be ever so slightly tarnished. Scrape 'em clean.

streeter, exactly waht do you mean by that? go into Konsole and type lspci (is that first letter an L?)

Yes and yes.

lspci is in the pciutils package - if it's not installed by default, install it with "urpmi pciutils" (as root) again, at the command line (Konsole).

The lspci (list pci) command will give a list of what PCI devices your comuter can see.

An old fashioned ink rubber is good for cleaning contacts if you have one.

Chris