DNS problem?

nayarpatel

Hi all, well I've installed Mandrake and it all looks great....but i've been having a little problem with the network:

When I lauch konqueror I find I can acces my router (192.168.1.1) fine and my localhost fine (127.0.0.1 or http://loalhost)

When I type in google's IP (http://216.239.59.99) I get there nice a quick.....however when I actually type in "www.google.com" the same does not happen. What is really awkward is that when I type in the actual address (google.com rather than its IP) after a wait of about 1 minute I do actually reach the page

So it can't be that the DNS is configured wrongly cause I do eventually get to the page....it jsut takes a minute longer than if I type in the actual address

I have configured the nameserver to 192.168.1.1, the address to my router and the same dns addres I assign to my windows computers.....so could someone help please? If you need any more information, could you tell me which log files you want me to post?

Thanks

(oh and one other thing.....when I ping something, it pings it fine....just that it continues pinging forever.....how to I terminate the ping command?)

terminate the ping command with ctrl+c

I know there's a solution to your problem but I can't remember what it is...do you have a hostname set? and if so, do you have it in /etc/hosts?

Thanks about the ping :)

resolve:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

nameserver 192.168.1.1 <-IP of router

# search

#ppp temp entry

and hosts:

192.168.1.1 b******* <-sorry, had to delete

127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.1.11 Miniserver <-IP address assigned for eth1 (pcmcia card)

192.168.1.20 Miniserver <-IP address assigned to eth0....which is a built in card which doesn't really work and no cable is plugged in.....no difference is made when cable is plugged in cause network is tweaked to run through eth1

Thanks for the help :), I really appreaciate it

remove:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

from resolv.conf

if you're still having a slow response time, I suggest removing both entries and putting your ISP's DNS entries in in the form of:

nameserver <ipaddress>

well when I delete 127.0.0.1 it still takes a good 30 seconds longer than by typing in the IP, but I don't quite udnerstand what you mean by my ISP's DNS

How would I go about doing that? Should I check my ISP's website? Or is there a specific way of finding out.

Excuse my newbiness :(

don't worry about your newbiness ;) we were all there once!

If you can get into your routers configuration it should have the DNS/nameservers that it is receiving from your ISP. right now, you're asking your router to resolve the DNS entires and then it's asking your ISP's DNS servers...this could be creating the slowdown.

if you're still having a slow response time, I suggest removing both entries and putting your ISP's DNS entries in in the form of:

nameserver <ipaddress>

Thats right, both dns entries should be in /etc/resolv.conf as 'nameserver ip.address' -without quotes- for it to work.

Its weird though......when I go "service network restart" it says "Bringing up interface th1: [FAILED]"......it's strange cause despite this, the internet works fine through eth1

Are you sure youre connecting through eth1 ?? Usually the first ethernet card is eth0, if you have two card pluged in but only one connected to the router (eth0) maybe thats why the second one (eth1) fails...

But as long as the net conection works...who cares :lol2::lol2: