Good C compiler to use in Windows?

I'm learning some C programming and, like it or not, I often end up with spare time at work at a Windows computer. Does anyone recommend a good compiler to use, like maybe the GNU one? Something equivalently good-natured and free? :)

Thanks!

http://www.digitalmars.com/

believe me there is no better one : compile fast programs that run fast :tm:

.... and it's a little company, they are friendly, the main programmer, Walter Bright, is almost a genius -_-

Also the forum is very reactive.

afaik it's not open source .. (yet ?) but it's free.

If you want a good idde, buy the cd: cheap for what it'll gives you.

I hope you'll try, please report your impressions.

Edit: forgot to say that DM C++ was the Symantec C++, witch was the Zortech C++, the first native C++ compiler for x86 ever.

Edited by roland

You may like MSYS.

It is a set of *nix tools for windows. Baiscally like a small shell with most commonly used linux commands, and also comes with GNU compiler.

In reference to Digital Mars, they are making D, the programming language. Kinda interesting.

Latem

• 1 month later...
Guest Adriano

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Dev-cpp. It's a free, open source C/C++ IDE on top of a Mingw GCC for Windows. Nice program, I wish something similar was available for Linux (maybe Kdevelop. Oughta try that, now that I'm starting with C programming...)

EDIT: I see they (Bloodshed software) have a linux version, but I can't find any references apart from it being on a CD they sell... Go figure.

Edited by Adrianovaroli