Soundcard for a band...4 inputs

Urza9814

Hey, I was looking for a soundcard for my band that would allow us to record each instrument separately. So, we need 4 inputs. That's not a problem...I can get that for $80...the problem is, 2 of those would be digital...nothing we have outputs digital! I cannot find a single soundcard with 4 analog inputs...even for $500! A USB interface would work too I suppose...and I guess we only need 3 inputs if we use it with our old soundcard...but anyways, I need 4 analog line-in or better quality inputs, either RCA, 1/4" or 1/8" plugs...we use all 1/4", and one RCA possibly (amp outputs as 1/4", but inputs as RCA Line-in, so we could drop the amp)

Oh, and it has to be under about $100...perhaps $200 if absolutely necessary...and it does not have to be linux compatible...we use my brother's comp to record (in the basement already and newer), and he doesn't like Linux...so...

We have a mixer...but we want to be able to record them as separate tracks...for editing and stuff...can't do much with it if they're all one track...

We're thinking of using two soundcards...borrowing one from this comp...but that's only 2 inputs...so we're thinking record keyboard and drums together like that, and then have the 2 guitars go next while listening to that...but a 4 input soundcard would be best.

you can record them as seperate tracks through the mixer, you just have to do each on it's own, which is how professional recording is done. each part recorded seperately then layered on top of each other - it works best that way.

"studio" sound only sounds that way when people don't know what they're doing, or just want something that'll sell. if you know how to do it, it comes out great. you just have to know what you want before you record it.

(I have 4 friends who write and record their own music, they do this with their own computers and mixers. this is how they do it, and it doesn't sound "studio" - it's the musicians, not they way of recording, that make something sound "studio")

Are you sure that's how sudios do it? We've tried that a few times...it never worked...each track was off a little, and it wasn't constant the whole way through, so...

you lay down the main beat with the drums, and you play that through a headphone set along with whatever the next person is playing so that they can hear what they're doing.

they system is recording whatever it is you're doing...so it is only off as much as the player is off (maybe a few milliseconds more). you may need to use a wav editor for finetuning, but you'd probably have to do that anyways.

Lay down your drums and then get everyone else to play the other stuff at the same time. Finish with vocals and then any solos or anything. Go back and re-do the drums if you need to so that the drummer can "feed" off the other tracks. This'll make it sound tighter and enable you to record it into your computer with a mixer.

Plus if one of your trakcs is vocals then this way requires no more than two inputs at a time anyway...

If you try and od vocals with drums and other stuff then some of the tracks will bleed into the vocal.

Another tip - leave reverb off everything and then add it to the final mix. That'll sound much more authentic.