Stoping hotplug, and my networkcard

Znora

I was stupid enough to turn on hotplug last time I formatted. I should'nt have done it because now my PC slows down 10 secs at boot. And it also won't shut down at all. :(

anyone?

I also have got a integrated networkcard called via rhine II in this motherboard.

It won't work at all. It doesn't start up at boot, and I have no sign of connection.

I have tryed modprobeing it, but it didn't help.

On the asus homepage I found a driver for it, but it was only for the 2.4 kernel, and I won't change kernel.

My card is connected to a standard switch with internet, and 2 other windows PCs.

Edited by Znora

# rc-update remove hotplug

If memory serves me correctly... (also a distro dependant command - I use it in Gentoo).

Your VIA chipset has support in the 2.6.X kernels. I'll check it out when at my box and point you to it in the kernel config...

Edited by SoulSe

rc-update remove hotplug didn't work.

thanks for all help.

I have a netgear FA311(or fa312) also.

1. Would it be just PnP to insert this?

2. can I make this card be eth0?

3. how do I stop the integrated card from searching for network at boot if this cars works?

what distro are you using?

Hotplug is a good thing and not something I think you want to delete.

Answers to your last questions:

1. If you're using Mandrake then maybe, otherwise no.

2. Doesn't matter if it's eth1, but yes.

3. Disable it in your BIOS

Using mdk 10 community ofcourse. this is a mdk forum after all.

good answers. thanks

1. So how do I install a new networkcard then?

(I am not too good in linux yet, so be spesific)

Edited by Znora

Your onboard card SHOULD work with a standard MDK 2.6 kernel - try Typing

"lsmod | grep rhine" - do you get any output? If you do, the driver module is loaded.

If not try "modprobe via-rhine" - what output do you get?

Make sure you have "alias eth0 via-rhine" in your /etc/modprobe.conf file

Then look at the 'sticky' post at the top of the networking forum for how to set up a manual connection. You will find a link to this URL: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/simple_net_setup.html which will hopefully help - let me know...

Chris

ûberthanks streeter. My internet how works. I followed the tutoreal and managed to set up a DHCP connection. :D

so I am quite happy with what I managed, but I have got 2 questions:

1. I found this rather complicated. I thought setting up a simple internetconnection with 1 pc, 1 switch and 1 router would be a simple thing to do. Is this a standard prosedyre that often have to be done to set up a linux system?

2. Sadly I only managed to connect via IP. www.google.com woun't work. Not kopete either. On the guide u gave me it stands that this is a DNS problem. I don't even know what DNS is. Can u help me?

Glad it works!

Q1: Normally it is simple - just use the wizard, but if you make a mistake, have an out of the ordinary set up or run the wrong wizard (say, internet connection sharing), Mandrakes wizards will mess up big time.

Q2: DNS is a system for looking up numerical IP addresses from the human readable ones you type in (like www.google.com). The config file for this is /etc/resolv.conf. You just need a line (put it at the top) saying nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ISPs nameserver address. You can get this from their website or another PC - a Windows one will do.

The phrases to look for are DNS, domain name server, nameserver or any combination...

If you are really stuck, use my ISPs until you find out yours - 195.20.224.165 (belongs to 1&1 - putting your ISPs server in here will be a little quicker)

Chris

Made that to. Great!

tomorrow I will write a tutoreal on the subject.(with a link to this page I used)

If you don't mind writing you'r won. You probebly know the subject better than me.