can't run 2 instances of mozilla 1.2.1 w/ same profile

Guest SDMF

When I was running mozilla 1.1, I put a launcher in my panel to start mozilla. I removed mozilla 1.1 completely and created a similar launcher for 1.2.1.

When I click this new launcher, it does start correctly, but if I try to click it again, it tells me that I must choose another profile. Anyone know why this is happenning?

It happens because you can only have one instance of mozilla running at the same time in linux for a single user.

using CTRL+N or File->New->Navigator Window only opens another mozilla window it doesn't create a new instance of the mozilla program so if you had a signal 11 crash in a mozilla window all open windows of mozilla would crash.

If you happened to open a console and su'ed, if you typed mozilla it would open a new instance of mozilla as user root so it would use root's profile so if you had a signal 11 crash in the user instance of mozilla only windows opened as that user would crash, the root windows would remain.

Why they have made it like this? i don't know, i am after all an idiot. :D

If you haven't tried using the tabs feature in Moz you really need to. It prevents having to open multiple instances of the same program and does seem to be quite a bit less taxing than having more than one window open at a time.

NS7 and Opera also has this feature.

mozilla has allways had this behavior

at least when installed from there installer.

I think mandrake has changed the initiation script on there mozilla install so that if it's already open it just opens a new window, will have too look

Ok had a look through the mozilla shell script in /usr/bin

If it detects mozilla is running it just opens a new window, not a new instance

So if you want your new mozilla to run like the old one edit the file and change the file paths to that of the new version. Note you would have to move all the plugins if you did that.