So here's soemthing I haven't tried with Linux yet

xbob

what happens if I just pop in a new video card, does PnP kick in or should I plan a clean install? I have a Shuttle SK41G using the integrated S3 Pro Saveage DDR for now but I have a spare GeForce4 MX400SE I could pop in, so what's going to happen if I do?

Generally, PnP must kick in. But if it doesn't, there is not much work to correct the situation. Regarding "clean re-install" - forget it, it's not needed :-)

Do the following before you switch the card. It would be useful even in case PnP does actually kick in.

- Download NVIDIA drivers for your card. Read their instructions regarding installation, they have VERY GOOD README.

- Upon popping the new card in and switching on your computer for the first time, load linux in text mode instead of graphical. It's done by hitting ESC at the LILO prompt and typing "linux 3" ( or whatever you use ) instead of choosing "linux".

- Install the NVIDIA drivers and edit XF86Config-4 according to instructions.

- "init 5" - and enjoy your new card in GUI.

Well that went smoothly, thanks for the tips, I expected it to go that way but I have pretty much always been a "Linux on servers" person so once a server was up we rarely swapped much hardware. Damn I love the penguin! :headbang:

correct.

I actually changed the box/mobo and all once. No problem.

That is amazingly great, do you know how many of my hours as a network admin I could have back if WIndows could do that without getting it's boxers all in a bunch, I don't even want to count.

Quick question, does glxgears actually end and give a report or will it just run on until I stop it? I ran it sucessfully for about half a minute, killed it to move on to some Tuxracer, but I suppose I should let it "finish" if it actually does?

Okay, anyone have an idea what a "good" number is in glxgears, say for an Athlon XP 2000+/512MB/GeForce4 MX 440SE? I don't expect miracles and don't game much outside of a little Quake III and some arcade stuff, I just added the video card because the Shuttle SK41Gs inegrated video ...

a ) sucks and has no acceleration at all in Linux (Savage Pro 8 DDR)

b ) hits the memory bandwidth on the systme for about 15% of total performance

c ) slows total systme performance by 10%

d ) which also causes choppy sound

e ) see a-d

I am much happier with overall performance with the card in, but I always like to maximize my performance so if I can do some tweaking and get a little more juice out of it, I will. That said, TuxRacer seems smooth and I'm sure it's enough for Quake III and maybe Enemy Territory, buy still...

bvc, I just noticed we are pretty close on specs and have the same card, how's the overall performance?

Edited by xbob