Dell ships first Euro Linux business PCs

spinynorman

Ha, as promised in the reply email I sent earlier, it's me that you've been "corresponding" with re: the DoS thing.

Southend's nice, Basildon's a dump and my nearest "big" place has a cooler footie team sponsor than Southend could ever have! Check out "Skint record's" you'll know where I am.

Actually I've been floating around since the old mandrake users board and the day's of "Omar Serendipity" ???? He helped me big time when I first got into the "linux racket" with a speedtouch usb adsl modem, which I decided was crap - eventually.

Anyhow, re your post Norm, yes it's excellent to see that Dell are offering Linux system's (again - I say that, because about 6 month's to a year ago, one of the guy's at my LUG got a dual Xeon system from Dell, but he had to go through Dell (US) to get it. I seem to remember the system had Redhat installed. He was, at the time, a gentoo developer, then changed to Fedora for a little while, but obviously wasn't happy with that, as he dropped that quite quickly. I'm not sure whether it was connected with his getting a proper linux job with a company not too far from Gatwick).

I suppose that what I'm trying to relate is that there's more stuff out there that we're led to believe that can have pre installed linux (of whatever flavour).

I just wonder how long it will be before Dell drop the offering, when MS see fit to dump on them (again?) with License flavoured crap???

Keep up the good work's. You and the other mod's seem to be doing "a totally excellent job".

rebards

John

P.S. Wasn't it because of "License flavoured crap" that Mesh (or was it Evesham) dropped the Mandrake installed system ??? (or was it just that was how I saw it at the time - let's face it, it wouldn't ever have been a big seller, because the "average Joe Public" hasn't got a clue that there's anything other than MS) :end:

Edited by bigjohn

To get back on topic:

Dell have been upset by parts of the Questar announcement, apparently.  See The Register for details.  :huh:

True or not, I can't say.

But I can vividly imagine some M$-representative(s) phoning to Dell about this. They must NOT like this kind of 'publicity'. Just might give people ideas.

Edited by Darkelve

Dell have been upset by parts of the Questar announcement, apparently

Hum, curious.

"Guess the hidden agenda" isn't alway's the easiest of games to play! And by that, I mean possible Questar or Dell. MS doesn't have a hidden agenda - their's is blatantly obvious.

I mean, could it be something as basic as Questar trying to improve sales of Dell equipment? or maybe Dell trying to hedge their bet's (given MS's previous tactic's when dealing with OEM's who try to offer "choice")???

Or maybe you have seen something I haven't and understand that there's more to it, than meet's the eye ??

regards

John

Or maybe you have seen something I haven't and understand that there's more to it, than meet's the eye ??

regards

John

well, as I said, I think Dell's upset because M$ is upset... it's a vicious triangle! :zzz: