Major problems after updating init-scripts

Guest mbnn

Guest mbnn

i updated the init-scripts (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?name=MDKA-2004:031) and after the next reboot a lot of things were messed up.

My network, sound system (and probably more) does nut work any more (everything worked fine prior to the update).

I have no experience in initscripts so i have no idea what to do.

"dmesg" does also give some "not-normal" inputs (strange commands/errors which i do not remember to have seen prior the update)

Can anybody help/guide me??

Is it possible to undo the update that screwed up my machine ??

Thanks in advance

Michael

Is it possible to undo the update that screwed up my machine ??

Yes, and that's about the only 'easy' way to fix it. Were there dependencies? Or was that the only rpm you updated 'with' initscripts?

Basically if the older pkgs are not on cd, you'll need to get the prior version/s from the net>dload them to a dir>uninstall the new (possibly having to force)>and install the old. As you can see, you can make things worse if you're not sure what you are doing.

Tip: wait til MandrakeUpdates are old b4 applying them....letting others be the test rats.....check here for problems the rats are having. In 3 years I've maybe used MandrakeUpdate 10 times :zzz:

Guest mbnn

As far as I remember there were no dependencies, but I updateded some other rpm at the same time (but do not remember that there were any dependcies).

What do I do to undo the update ?

I have the cds from the installation but how do i get the "right" (old) init-scripts ?

Is the only way to see if i can find the init-scripts on the install-cds and force to install them ?

Thanks in advance

Michael

PS. I will not perform any updates in the near future now (but this is the first time that i have had problems with an update)

if the old initscripts is the one off the cd you shouldn't have much of a problem. Do you have any sources for urpmi other than mandrakeupdate? If no,

rpm -e --nodeps initscripts

urpmi initscripts

should fix it.

Edited by bvc

Guest mbnn

I have other sources but they do not work since my network is not running (and i can easily disable them).

I have not been able to find the initscripts in the "software manager" in MDK10.0 but perhaps i can erase it but the use of the rpm command, i really hope so.

I will try your "commands" as soon as i get home.

crossing my fingers B)

Michael

Guest mbnn

:help:

I am in deep trouble now !!

Stupid as I was i removed the initscripts (rpm -e --nodeps initscripts) and then wanted to install the initscript from the cd (urpmi initscripts) BUT there were no support for iso9660 (I should have checked this before i removed the rpm) so i could not install the initscripts.

I have a copy of the "buggy" initscripts but some of the executables (programs) from initscripts is now missing.

Now the machine only boots into some shell where I cannot do alot, saying something about "cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" and the like.

I have a knoppix on which i am able to boot an modify my files on the harddrive.

What can I do now to be able to boot into my mandrake 10.0 ?

(is it possible to do some "recovery" from the mdk 10.0 install cds ?)

I very much need your help no !!

Thanks in advance

Michael

:o

iso9660?

I don't see that in there anywhere :unsure:

anyway....sorry......I did this once in 8.1 without any problem, but that's 8.1 :unsure:

initscripts is on cd1

[root@localhost root]# ls /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS | grep initscripts

initscripts-7.06-49mdk.i586.rpm

[root@localhost root]#

So from rescue mode after chroot /mnt you can

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/initscripts-7.06-49mdk.i586.rpm

change the path to your cdrom if necessary.

Boot cd1 and at the splash screen press F1>type rescue and press Enter>choose Mount your partitions under /mnt>go back to the gui and choose Go To Console>type

chroot /mnt

and press Enter

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/initscripts-7.06-49mdk.i586.rpm

after chroot /mnt you are in your mandrake install, so if win is in /mnt per default it's

/mnt/win_c

If this is where you downloaded it to, and it's already mounted then

rpm -ivh /mnt/win_c/initscripts-7.06-49mdk.i586.rpm

If you need to force it there's 2 options

rpm -ivh --nodeps (best)

rpm -ivh --nodeps --force (not good)

let me know, and again, sorry!!! :woops:

/maybe it's time for me to retire :unsure:

Edited by bvc

There's also an 'Upgrade' Option that should fix it and install the default. It's been so long since I've used it to repair an install I couldn't tell ya how to get it, but it should be obvious. I've heard some say it's not there for them while others have found it, so I d/k. This would not be an upgrade from 9.2 to 10 so it's not bad......it's a good way to repair actually. At least it was. :unsure:

Guest mbnn

did the rescue option on the cd 1, mounted drives at /mnt/ :

mounting other partitions from fstab on /mnt

mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

So i was not able to mount my windows partitions but luckily i was able to mount my cdrom driver (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) so i could install initscripts but had to force it.

Then i tried to reboot. I was now able to get into KDE but nearly nothing worked.

Like no modules/drivers were loaded into the kernel.

Then i tried to take failsafe option at the boot manager (lilo), it stopped at run level 3 (i guess), then i did "init 5" and KDE loaded. I seems that almost (if not all) everything is running as it used to (networking, sound etc).

Do you have any clue why i have to boot into failsafe and then "init 5" ?

The best thing is that it is running again. When i get some more time (if ever) i think a new installation will be needed.

Thank you for all your help and inspiration, i had never figured out how to use the rescue mode to install the initscripts*.rpm

THANK YOU SO FAR !!! :thumbs:

You are welcome!!!

initscripts is one of those pkgs that I used to not upgrade til everyone else did and I new it was ok, because the same thing happened to me in ML-8.1. Now, when I run mandrake/cooker I only put

kernel

kernel-source

grub

lilo

in /etc/urpmi/skip.list, but I also used to put

drakxtools

drakconf

initscripts

you could copy the default initscripts to the hd and try again :woot: ...

....k, maybe not :unsure:

glad it is at least working :headbang:

Guest mbnn

:help:

I am so sorry to say that i am back to the problems stated in my first post.

After 1 reboot everything is back to what i described in post 1.

I have tried to do what i did last night with the rescue-thing from the install-cds but that won't help.

It seems like the kernel cannot find all it modules (fs-types, network, sound etc. is not working).

What can i do ??

Thanks in advance

michael

Guest mbnn

Hi again

I just performed an update. It did not take much time (most of the time was used at "rebuilding rpm database").

But it did not change anything -> i can still not use my system.

Do you have any good ideas left ?

I am very close to buy a new harddrive to install mandrake 10 on and then use my "old" harddrive in this to prevent data loss.

Does that sound as a stupid idea ? (i am not buying the harddrive just because of these problems, but i need storage space, this situation has just made consider to buy an extra harddrive earlier than planned).

I think that the new harddrive will be the safest and fastest solution.

Do you agree ?

Thanks in advance