Installing source code for 2.6.7 Kernel

Guest Tobes

Guest Tobes

I am a complete Linux newbie, so please bear with me if I am slow or just missing something obvious. Here goes:

I am trying to get my WLAN card to work with Linux and some Howtos recommend to upgrade the Kernel to 2.6.6 or 2.6.7. I downloaded the following 2 files from an ftp server:

kernel-2.6.7.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

kernel-2.6.7.2mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

I am guessing the first one is the Kernel upgrade and the second one is the source code. I installed the first one using urpmi without problems (the only error message is a missing signature).

I tried installing the source code using urpmi and rpm -ivh. Using urpmi the error message for the missing signature comes up and after confirming that I want to continue nothing happens at all. Using rpm -ivh seems to process something. A number of error messages come up saying 'can't find user X' plus a line of ###########. However, the package still does not seem to install. Have also tried installing via:

rpm --rebuild kernel-2.6.7.2mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

Which generates an error message: '/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb/: no such file or directory'

As far as I know, the source code should install to /usr/src/linux-2.6.7mdk. However, this directory does not exist.

I have also uninstalled the old kernel source code (2.6.3mdk) using rpmdrake, but the directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.3mdk still seems to exist.

Without the new kernel sources I am not able to compile the ndiswrapper driver for my WLAN card. Any hints on installing the kernel source code greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tobes

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

kernel-2.6.7.2mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

is not what you need. You need

kernel-source-2.6.7blabla.mdk.rpm

to build the src.rpm requires the pkg rpm-build. The correct command now for src.rpms is

rpmbuild --rebuild kernel-2.6.7.2mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest reducer
Can you post the link to were you got these kernels?

Hey, tnx for the tip bvc, I had difficulties in getting the src file installed too lol, cause I had same problem (well, problem) as Tobes.

For QzarBaron, you can download almost everything you need at RPM Search, this is where I found mine. Don't forget to select in "advanced search" the ditribution you are using.

Meanwhile, here are the links to twe two files for you to download assap :

The kernel 2.6.7.2 RPM (beware this is only for i586 systems, if you have a HT processor you should go to RPM Search and get the SMP kernel, or if you have some other system, go and get the one who suits you best :P )

The kernel source for 2.6.7.2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Oxception
Hey, tnx for the tip bvc, I had difficulties in getting the src file installed too lol, cause I had same problem (well, problem) as Tobes. 

For QzarBaron, you can download almost everything you need at RPM Search, this is where I found mine.  Don't forget to select in "advanced search" the ditribution you are using. 

Meanwhile, here are the links to twe two files for you to download assap :

The kernel 2.6.7.2 RPM (beware this is only for i586 systems, if you have a HT processor you should go to RPM Search and get the SMP kernel, or if you have some other system, go and get the one who suits you best :P )

The kernel source for 2.6.7.2

do you know anywhere else that would have the kernel-source-2.6.7-2mdk.i586.rpm. i've gone to the RPM Search and they don't have it. well they do but the link to download it is at an ftp server that no longer has that file... all they have now is the 2.6.8 version.