nvidia driver - cannot start X

griptypethyne

I am attempting to install the driver for my nvidia mx420 card.

My sources of information are the HowTo: mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4567

and the instructions from the nvidia site NVLinuxR25Notes_3123.pdf.

I have run NCchooser.sh and it tells me that I need the 3123 version of the driver.

I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz, uzipped it and ran make install. It seemed to install ok.

I downloaded NVIDIA-GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz. When I tried to unzip it it told me that it was an invalid tar file. Therefore I downloaded the rpm version:

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.src.rpm and ran rpm -ivh <file>.

It seemed to install ok.

I opened /var/log/XFree86.0.log and found the line:

"Using Config File /etc/X11/XF86Config_4"

I closed X and edited XF86Config_4, changing Driver "nv" to "nvidia" in Section "Driver".

I did not need to change Section "Module" as Load "GLX" was already present.

With great excitement :D I entered init 5.

Of course, X would not start :angry:

I opend XFree86.0.log and it included the messages

"Starting DM"

"Starting -Intel536: error loading Intel536"

Any help would be appreciated. :P

Thanks for that. I ran the file and it installed ok.

When I entered init 5 I recived an error message but before I could read it X and KDE started. I ran glxgears and it reported fps=1016.

I decided to reload the old driver and run glxgears again. When I entered init 3 rubbish appeared on the screen, although I could make out the prompt in very large block characters.

I re-booted, the NVIDIA screen appeared briefly and then KDE started. I re ran GLX gears again and still fps=1000 or so. I also did a crude, but to me more meaningful test. I opened a window, clicked on the title bar and moved the window very quickly around the screen. Ther were no jagged edges so I knew that the new driver was installed and working :D

I then entered init 3 and I was back to a screen full of rubbish.

I scrolled through XFree86.0.log but could not see any error messages.

I have made good progress but am not there yet.

I have carried out one more test. I entered init 3 to go to the text terminal.

I could just make out the prompt in large block characters among the rubbish so I entered:

root <enter>

<password> <enter>

init 5 <enter>

X and KDE started..

The problem therefore seems to be with the settings of the text screen. Odd, as I assume that the driver for this would be unchanged since the firsr PC and DOS...........

my gf4 mx440se 64mb agp does the same thing when using fb (framebuffer/bootsplash).

So is X working?

Yes, X is working. The problem is with the text only screen, either when I enter init 3 or when I logout from KDE and specify a restart.

If you disable fb does it solve the problem? If so, how? Maybe I should try disabling it.

I have looked through /var/log/messages. There are some error messages but they do not seem fatal. I think that I should locate and post each such message in what is a long file.

I installed '6106' yesterday and all seemed well, clear and sharp images - when i booted up this morning i could not start x. fatal error concerning usuable screens (104?)

i'm using a 15" tft monitor. 64mb nvidia card.

I got in by changing the drivers back to 'nv' as opposed to nvidia, but got a few error messages upon statup. including 'bootsplash'

(i'm in kde now). suggestions please as to where to amend in order to stabilise x?

thanks!

As an additionl comment - for any other new folks in similar situation - following my problem, i downloaded + installed 'kernel source' this morning, and reinstalled drivers and reset to 'nvidia'. this seems to have improved matters..

I am off work 'sick' for some of this week, so no doubt i'll mess it up again!

so far so (so)

No sooner did i feel that all was well... i powered the machine down. Restarted, it would not boot into x, it seems the driver is not loading following a power-off shut-down, but is ok following a hot restart, where am i going wrong?

which file should i post for everyone's amusement?

i got in again by changing the driver back to "nv", so i'm kinda guessing that i m not saving something correctly.... i am editing /etc/x11/XF66Config-4 using midnight commander... i used this when i installed nvidia driver into my 9.1 install and all was well.... so i kinda figured i could do the same with mdk10 -

perplexedal