I want to learn C(++?)

I'm thinking of using the rest of the summer (which is going by too quickly, by the by) to learn some programming. As it seems to be quite widely used and quite powerful, I'd like to learn C. (Maybe C++, but I just don't even know the difference.) Can anyone recommend a good way of doing so? Is there something available online that would be sufficient (and free :thumbs: )? Or should I pick up a book? If so, which one? I'd like to learn it well so that I can even start contributing to some of my favourite open-source programs out there... :jester:

Thanks!

just do a search for C++ tutorials. if you want a book (and I suggest a book so you can read it where ever you are) I suggest anything from Deitel & Deitel.

Also, if you really want to get into it, you might want to learn Discrete Mathematics.

Roland, I don't think he is; tyme, I actually just took discrete math last year and I think I know what you mean. It's pretty helpful to get yourself in the programmer's mindset, as far as I can remember from Visual Basic in high school.

But honestly, google for C++ tutorials? There are a bunch of online lessons and I didn't think they would all be good. Can you (or anyone) offer specific ones that are worth my time? Regardless, I think I'll buy a book; thanks for the author recommendation.

Also, if you really want to get into it, you might want to learn Discrete Mathematics.

??????? :o

ah tyme is kidding again :D

you're kidding tyme isn't it ? :unsure:

no, I'm not kidding :P

discrete math can really help you understand the ideas behind comparisons and other sorts of things that you will do in object-oriented programming. it is, in fact, a requirement for almost every computer science degree out there.

it's also fun, especially when you're teacher screws up and says:

"my pants are false" or starts talking about pink elephants with yellow tusks...

I just picked up "C++ Black Book" by Steven Holzner for pactically nothing, i think about $6 US equivalent. It's not a bad book for a beginner, as it is pretty verbose. If you can get it cheap then it would be worth it, if not then there would be better books for your money.

For c i would say "c programming in easy steps" is a good starting book on c, cheap too at about $13 US.

Another way to go about it is to get a Object Orientated Programming book with C++. Either one book or both. The Black books are used to provide 'how-to" info rather than a structured learning approach (I think we are talking about the same thing). You might want to learn Visual Net C++ instead. There is a crossplatform version of it called Mono. It's been developed by Ximian. Do a google to find.. One of the Linux mags out this month has an article on how to write a web blog with mono..

no, I'm not kidding  :P

discrete math can really help you understand the ideas behind comparisons and other sorts of things that you will do in object-oriented programming.  it is, in fact, a requirement for almost every computer science degree out there.

Well, in this case, there is a lot of things that can be helpful for Object programming.

Take electronic: each class is a component, and the main program is the board that links the component each other. :P

Is is C++ that is helpful for discrete math/electronic or discrete math/electronic that is helpful for C++ ?

Well discrete math knowledge could not hurt. But z transform, digital signal filtering, all that come with discrete math can be a little discouraging and not always useful for most of programs.

VHDL or any Hardware Description Language could not hurt either as digital logic, as computer hardware knowledge.

Concerning the question: me I've learned C++ with the Borland 3.0 Programmers guide. That was the good old time when the software were delivered with real paper books.

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up "C++ Black Book" by Steven Holzner for pactically nothing, i think about $6 US equivalent. It's not a bad book for a beginner, as it is pretty verbose. If you can get it cheap then it would be worth it, if not then there would be better books for your money.

For c i would say "c programming in easy steps" is a good starting book on c, cheap too at about $13 US.

I have the same book :), but a dutch translation, well I think C++ is good to start with, it's actually based on C, but i has classes, nothing you have to worry about now :)

Here are some resources you may find useful:

http://www.programmingtutorials.com

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html - A free e-book "Thinking in C++ 2nd Ed." Volume 1 & 2 by Brucke Eckel.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Good luck,

Latem

Edited by Latem

C++ is a good language to learn because it has a lack of "enforcement" that other languages have and is very heavily used. Enforcement in terms of memory management for example. However, more modern languages do these tasks for you automatically (its a debate as to whether this is a good thing or not). You might want to do C++ for a while and then try 2 or 3 other languages such as Java, Visual Net (or Mono.org for linux), or web based lanugages such as PHP, or Python. Web based languages require a different set of skills as you have to kind of think differently about how code is processed. This is referred to Stateless vs state (I think). When your code gets executed on a server, its stateless as in (brand new), have to retrieve the current situation somehow. Otherwise, you have one application that can maintain its life time as long as it is running.

• 1 month later...

Well, I spent some time trying to learn C programing. I coudln't even get hello world to compile. I get all sorts of error messages no matter what I do. I'm running mandrake 10.0. This is the source code of my little program. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.

;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,

;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

/* hello.c */

/*#include <stdio.h> I commented this out cause it was giving me all sorts of errors*/

int

main(void)

{

printf("hello, world!\n");

return 0;

}

Hey, I got it to work, remmber to delete the stupid nots at the top of the emacs, it messes up compiling real bad and will turn you into a flustrated newbie. :lol: