installing software

Guest fahiem

Guest fahiem

Dudes im new to linux

i use mandrake know and i love it. the only thing is is that if i want to download something for mandrake like dvd software i download it but i can not install it. if i klick on the download it ask with what i should open it.

i dont know anything about the linux commandline. could somebody please telle me how to install software on mandrake 10 please, please! mehehehe:(

and please domt tell me that for every download there is another installation procedure.

luve ya all man

pleas help me

i want to copy my dvd movies. witch program should i use tot burn dvd movies?

Welcome to our board!

There are a couple of different ways to install software. The most common answer you will get for Mandrake is urpmi. Luckily, iphitus and I have written an FAQ on urpmi that you can find here that I think will answer most of your software installation questions.

Check it out, add some sources and install away. Everything that you need to play dvd's is on the plf urpmi source. Once you read through that FAQ and add your plf source, use this command:

urpmi dvd -a

to install all of it. You won't need everything, but that will ensure that you get everything (and then some) that you need.

I would defenetly go with Urmpi they had recommended it too me when I started and I LOVE it. Some programs just can't get any more easier to run. Also check out the forum I don't know where it exactly it is but theres some topic that teachers you how to open files, inluciding those tar. gz.

Trust me you can't go wrong with Urpmi

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

I would defenetly go with Urmpi they had recommended it too me when I started and I LOVE it. Some programs just can't get any more easier to run. Also check out the forum I don't know where it exactly it is but theres some topic that teachers you how to open files, inluciding those tar. gz.

Trust me you can't go wrong with Urpmi

-Luis

The post you are referring to is probably SI-01 in our FAQ Forum

Yeah sorry, I was in a unexpected rush, I was going to come back to edit and add the link but I totally forgot about it.

-Luis