Gentoo-My Gentoo Questions (revisited)

That's what I thought as well. It's ext3 in fstab. I'll look in gentoo, but I did all of this inside of Mandrake, so I had full access to all of my favorite tools. It's a mystery.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

print your fstab here

Is your /boot on hda1 and part of mdk or gentoo, or is it on another slice? I would think if you were doing gentoo on the back side of mdk all you would have is "/" (home and stuff like that if you did it) and use mdk's grub/lilo & in mdk make a mount point for the gentoo / like /mnt/gentoo or /gentoo and point grub/lilo to that

How did you do the install, like slices and boot loader?

Gentoo is on one partition, hdd8. When I multiboot, I copy the kernels for the various distros to /boot in Mandrake. grub is on hda mbr. Windex is hda1 and a fat32 is on hda2. Mandrake is hdd1 /, hdd6 /home, hdd7 /usr, and hdd5 swap. hdd5 is swap for all distros. I point lilo/grub to the appropriate /boot folder. Mandrake uses all reiserfs and the /gentoo partition uses ext3. Gentoo is at /mnt/gentoo in Mandrake. Mandrake is /mnt/mandy_root, /mnt/mandy_home, and /mnt/mandy_usr in gentoo.

I reformatted the partition again and started the entire process over. I don't like the fact that the partition would not auto mount in Mandrake, and theat the identity was wrong for the kernel. Might have been a diskdrake issue. I started over. :wall:

NEVER USE GENKERNEL! GENKERNEL BAD!

You could perhaps have fixed your problem:

Recompile your kernel, make sure all your filesystems have support compiled into the kernel. Then use your Gentoo Livecd to boot, chroot into your gentoo system, check /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo again.

Anyway, you've formatted, so that's that then :P

:juggle: genkernel really isn't that bad if you know how to use it ;-)

of course either is make menuconfig / make && make install_modules :lol:

I use both, depending on the mood i'm in. The only problem I see with genkernel is it bloats the kernel just like mdk/suse/fc does, but you can always go back l8r and remove the crap out of it.

I'll i'm saying in this lenghty post of me, which way you compile your kernel doesn't really matter. The end result is basically the same, a kernel &/or initrd.img

:thumbs:

genkernel doc with fluff and stuff

:jester:

I'm on vacation on my Uncle's computer! I switched to gentoo-dev-sources this time around, and I'm sure I compiled all the fs's into the kernel. Thanks for the notes. I'll be at it again on Tuesday!

Gentoo is up with a kernel I actually compiled myself. (yikes!) The x config was a nightmare. I finally copied my Mandrake config, changed the fonts, and got it running gui. I don't have any sound!!!! What do I need to emerge? Just as before, it seems faster than Mandrake. I was only going to run gnome, but I like the gui in kde, so I am emerging while in Mandrake. This is too easy!

By the way, what would prevent me from accessing gentoo as root in Mandrake. It's just a security question that I am toying with. I mean, what prevents me from using a live cd to access an existing linux box?

Gentoo is up with a kernel I actually compiled myself. (yikes!) The x config was a nightmare. I finally copied my Mandrake config, changed the fonts, and got it running gui. I don't have any sound!!!! What do I need to emerge? Just as before, it seems faster than Mandrake. I was only going to run gnome, but I like the gui in kde, so I am emerging while in Mandrake. This is too easy!

By the way, what would prevent me from accessing gentoo as root in Mandrake. It's just a security question that I am toying with. I mean, what prevents me from using a live cd to access an existing linux box?

Congrats!

For sound - you need to compile the alsa module for your board in the kernel. What sound card is it?

As for the Livecd - nothing prevents you from accessing the drive with it, which is why you keep your computer under lock and key :deal:

Once you are 'root' to the system, you have root access to local drives.

Of course, you could just turn off booting from cd in your BIOS and then lock your BIOS with a password...

you betcha :thumbs:

at my work, the BIOS is locked with a password, and the hard drive is the only thing allowed to boot.

BIOS locks aren't so great on desktops, since you can just unplug and pull the CMOS battery and this often clears the BIOS, but on a laptop - BIOS passwords are pretty secure means of locking down a system. I know, I tried to bypass the BIOS password on this laptop I use for work ;) (because I have an extra drive that I was supposed to install Linux on for testing purposes)

Do you all emerge nvidia or do you use the installer?

I am redoing the system again. I was in Mandrake and thought I was working in gentoo, but forgot to mount proc, so the package tried to compile against the Mandrake kernel! :woops: This is why I always need a working system. I learn by destroying what I am doing. B) By the way, it took my computer a little over an hour to bootstrap.