Non-ATAPI zip drive

Sudrien

I installed 9.0, and found that a majority of my drives were correctly detected - but not my zip drive. It is detected as an "ATA" model, which the howto says is a normal ide drive. But when I dont pass optons to the kernel, I get interupt errors and partition check errors, the system is unberably slow, and the device will not halt with the rest of the system.

by the way, i've tried devfs=nomount, but still none of the partitions will mount.

/etc/fstab

/dev/hda5 / reiserfs notail 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda3 /home/sudrien/Documents vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash vfat user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/rpms ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

from dmesg

hda: Maxtor 53073H6, ATA DISK drive

hdc: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100, ATA DISK drive

there is no fstab entry because the zip drive will not work. By the way, it is an athlon-tbird system.

I can suggest a few things that might help:

1. Try booting with a zip disk in the drive and see if you still have the same problem;

2.Try configuring your zip drive in Mandrake Control Center (mcc>Mount Points>Zip Drive). How is the device listed. Mine is listed as a scsi device (sda4) but it's a usb , not ide like yours. Check to see that mount points are defined and if so, what they are. Tick the Option button then OK which will bring up the Options window. Disable supermount and tick "user" and "noauto".

You may be right. Try running the command "df" without quotes from a console with a zip disk in the drive. That should list all your block devices. From what you describe, I don't think you will see your zip drive but that will rule out any problem with mcc. Also, check kde Control Center>Information>SCSI and see if your zip drive is listed under scsi devices(hdd=ide-scsi means your zip drive is running under scsi emulation).

I take it from the hdd designation that your zip drive is configured as slave on your second ide channel. You can try reconfiguring it as master and your cd writer as slave to see if that has any effect. Did you try booting with a zip disk in the drive? I saw a post either on this board or the old board where having a disk inserted at boot up fixed somebody's zip drive problem.

It may be that kernel support was not enabled for the device. Here's a link on how to enable kernel support:

http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/zipdrive/

Before going through the above, I think you can check to see if kernel support is enabled for your zip drive in the kde Control Center. It's under System>Linux Kernel Configurator. From the above link you should check in the Block devices section for "Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support". I think you can activate from within this program if it's not already activated. However, the above link does not show the zip drive running under scsi emulation so I'm not sure this approach is appropriate.

At

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/zip/zip-1.html

is described a wierd situation with at least ATAPI zip drives; for floppy disk compatibility the partition table is HIDDEN by jumper setting.

I'm going to check the jumpers at home latter.

By the way the zip-drive mini howto says an ata drive can not use ide-floppy or ide-scsi.

N.

If you want to remove the scsi emulation for hdd, you will have to edit your lilo.conf file. As root type the followng command:

# gedit /etc/lilo.conf

This opens up lilo.conf in gedit. Under the 'linux" label go to the "append" line and you should see the following somewhere in that line:

hdd=ide-scsi

Delete the above and save. Reboot and hdd will no longer be running under scsi emulation.

I removed the hdd=ide-scsi, and I've got a /dev/hdd entry now!

The drive access light won't go off :(

on boot I got the following comments at the partition check and fron devfsd:

hdd: irq timeout: status = 0xd0 {Busy}

ide1: reset: success

hdd: lost interupt

This is with a disk in the drive.

More silly questions.

How is windows configuring the irq's? Look in start-> Programs->Accessories->system tools->system info I think. See what windows is doing to the irq's

Is you bios setup on auto, or are you assigning irq's?

The Zip software in windows does a nice job of making it work, but it doesn't help you know what it is doing.

Also, have you disabled supermount, as suggested?

Supermount is disabled, but the problems show up durig the kernel's partiton check, so I doubt that's the problem.

ide0 and ide1 are on irq14 and irq 15 respectively - where could I check this in linux?

The bios is set to "no pnp", and all drives are set to auto.

(and incidently, the drive has a chs of 512,12,32 - and only a hdd entry, no hdd1, hdd2, etc. )