boot floppy in mandrake 10

Guest vpn

Help!!

I find that i cant make a rescue boot floppy after installing the mandrake 10 in the

HP laptop. The error i get seems to be because size of the files required (vmlinuz and

initrd.img) seems to be more that 1.44 MB!!

How is this possible???

:help:

[moved from Laptops, etc by spinynorman]

if you recompiled kernel, maybe you have a kernel too big.

No. I havent recompiled the kernel.

I had used the "noauto" option at installation time (otherwise it used to hang).

I am trying to make the boot disk after the installation.

I did not make the boot disk at installation time because the options it gave me werent

very clear to me. I thought I could anyway get it done after installation (like I had done for

my home computer - ages back - which has mandrake 8.1).

I dont want to tweak with any feature until I can get the boottable floppy for emergency (especially

because of the dual-boot with windows XP).

I now need to get stuff like modem, network etc.

Since auto detect was disabled during installation, how do i get the modem detected?

Also, can someone tell me where and how to find the graphical drakfloppy tool? (i couldnt locate

it in the obvious places, like MCC -> boot etc.)

Thanks for all prompt replies.

To run drakfloppy, type drakfloppy in a console as root. But anyways, the 2.6.x kernels won't fit on a floppy, so your best bet is to write LILO to a floppy MBR. Haven't tried it myself, but it should work. If you do have the 10.0 installation CD 1, you can boot from it, press F1 at the splash screen, then type "rescue" at the boot: prompt too

Edited by juanchor

Thanks.

I have got the CD1 and will use it if necessary. I was surprised to see the kernel not

fitting into a floppy and thought i was doing something wrong.

Would writing them in two floppies help? If so, how should one use it during rescue?

Again, this is just a backup.

None of the 2.6 kernels fit on a floppy anymore AFAIK. Actually this was also a problem in mdk9.2. Here's my answer to this dilema:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=11801

My FAQ explains how to make a bootable cd which will act like a giant boot floppy and boot into mdk but load much faster. It's a little involved but if you follow the instructions carefully it works like a charm.