ps2 mouse not working

Guest daimaku

Guest daimaku

hi, i'm very new with mandrake linux, this is mi first installation, the linux is installed perfectly on my dell latitud but when the linux load after the install finished the ps2 mouse or the touchpad didn't work.

anyone can tell me how to reconfigure the mouse options.

remember this is my first time wih linux, i don't know much of linux os commands.

Thanks in advance.

Try this command (on console with root privileges):

mousedrake

and choose "generic ps2 mouse" if none of them fit with your mouse.

But I can't understand why it didn't work, since you said that you're new to Mandrake I'm pretty sure that you use the mouse for the installation. And it suddenly not working in the installed OS. Anybody know something about this?

I doubt that you can have *both* touchpad and PS/2 mouse working at the same time. I don't remeber the details, but eventually I ended up using the touchpad and a USB mouse to have both the touchpad and the external mouse working. Anyway, my suggestion is to setup the mouse step by step. First, unplug the PS/2 mouse and run the mouse config tool as suggested in the previous posts. See if the touchpad works. The config tool will add some lines to the file XF86Config-4 which is located in /etc/X11 directory. Inspect that file, look for lines like these

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   Screen "screen1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Now backup that file (copy it into your home dir), plug the PS/2 mouse in and see if it works. Technically, it should work but the touchpad may stop responding. It may be necessary to logout first, and then login again for the mouse to start working. If the mouse does not work, run the mouse configuration tool again, and see if this makes any difference. If the mouse works, compare the new XF86Config-4 file with the one that you saved. The comparison may give you an idea why the external mouse did not work before.

Edited by coverup