Streaming media and players

Guest bolanski

Guest bolanski

Is there any solutions for streaming video like WMV and REAL and even QT in linux yet? What formats do work and what players do handle this kind of media. Since I work with streaming and just moved to linux I want to learn what possibilities there are.

I know about Ogg and Theora but thats not yet at working format. What other streaming solution are there avaible for the linux users.

I know there is a RealPlayer for linux but I couldent get it to install.

I also want to know about tools for live streaming on the linux platform.

/andy

Guest bolanski

Thanks!

There was some good usable stuff there and I did a search on streming video and got some new solutions. I'll have a look at them asap. Any other streaming Video solutions I should know of?

/andy

I have an RPM of RealPlayer 8 that I use for streaming RealVideo files. For streaming audio I use MPlayer from the command line. The disadvantage of using MPlayer, though, is that you need the exact URL of the streaming file, and that cannot always be found by viewing the source of the page. For commonly accessed streams, like ESPNRadio.com, I just have the command aliased in my .bashrc.

Guest Languid_Heap

Hello,

check out MPlayer for your all-in-one media solution under Linux. They've just recently completed work to implement Quicktime 5 and 6 support as well as WMA9/WMV9. I've also just discovered a Mozilla plug-in for Mplayer that is supposed to integrate embedded MPlayer playback in your Moz browser window. So far i've had mixed results...

MPlayer

WFTV MPlayer plugin for Moz

Good Luck!

--

Lang

If i know the link for streaming asf or wmv the mms:// or what ever it is.

how can i either play it with mplayer( as it plays those file types) or grab the file so i can playit after downloading?

There is a startrek nemisis preview streaming asf(at least it's not quicktime format) and i want to see it in high quality but i only have 128k adsl, so being able to download it would be a big bonus also for playback.