No desktop, only text

Guest veryodd

Guest veryodd

I know practically nothing about linux, but tried to install mandrake 10 on a machine mostly for testing. If this OS works well, i might use it, otherwise i'll just toss it out and use windows instead.

The first thing that happens is that i get no desktop, just a dos-like screen. It tells "Fatal server error: Could not open dafault font 'fixed'." and something about "markers probed from config file default setting from command line" and something about a log file that i don't know how to open. The last two lines is

XIO fatal IO error 104 connection reset by peer on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests 0 known prcessed with 0 events remaining."

What is all this?

Well.....

First, welcome to Mandrakeusers.org!

The software that creates the "window" environment is called x. X is having some problems. If it can't find the fonts, it can't make words. Also, it seems to be having a general video issue. So, several questions to trouble-shoot:

Did you md5sum the iso's before you burned them?

Did you use good media and a "slow" burn speed like 12-16X?

What kind of computer do you have, namely looking for type of motherboard, type of video card/section, ?

Linux is like windows, in that it must be setup in order to operate. Most new computers come already setup, except for registration. It is a mistake to believe that windows "just runs". Linux is a little more work, prticularly after you have grown accustomed to the windws way. In fact, I have learned a great deal about hardware and software with linux. I think it is worth the effort, but not everybody does. :lol:

Guest veryodd

MD5 is unknown. I did not make the CD myself, it's factory made by mandrake. Version is "powerpack+ 10.0". Computer is celeron 1000, 128MB ram. Motherboard is "AOpen AX34-U r1.02". Graphic card is "Trident VA Blade 3-D" on ISA connector, not AGP. Windows version is 2000 pro. File system is FAT32.

I tried reinstall, but get this message

Error in exec of stage 2 :-(

Trying to execute '/usr/bin/runinstall2' from the installation volume,

the following fatal error occurred

FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1: I/O error

I can't recover from this.

You may reboot your system.

Same problem here with 10.0:

Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

X and KDE worked yesterday. Today X (and KDE) won't start. :sad:

What is the problem and who cant this be fixed?

Guest veryodd

I have now booted into windows 2000, went to the disk manager, deleted all linux partitions, formatted that space to FAT32 primary and then deleted the newly formatted partition. NOW i could install mandrake and i DO have a desktop. No idea at all what went wrong the first time.

If you have an installation problem with this error, it can be the iso image, the installer (which is a little crappy) or a hardware issue, usually ram. If it is a running system and this problem comes up, it is more likely ram or hardware, provided you did not experience this right after an update. If it occurs after an update, then it's back to software again! :lol:

I have seen purchased sets have problems. Just because it was a commercial burn does not mean it is immune to errors.

So, at the commandline typse "mc". You should get a file manager similar to the old dosshell program. Navigate to the log file and read it by hitting the F4 key. F10 closes, F2 saves, F10 twice. Bear in mind that editing most files in your system require root permission. So, prior to launching Midnight Commander, type "su", enter the password, and then type "mc".

With an isa video, there may be a configuration error in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Look at the video section and post it here.

HAlm, please post a new thread for your problem. The error is the same, but the reasons might be totally different, and your problem deserves it's own space! B)

I have now booted into windows 2000, went to the disk manager, deleted all linux partitions, formatted that space to FAT32 primary and then deleted the newly formatted partition. NOW i could install mandrake and i DO have a desktop. No idea at all what went wrong the first time.

Excellent. As I said, the Mandrake installer is flakey. A running Mandrake system is excellent.

Found a solution ! :D

Edit the XF86Config-4 file:

vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I added

FontPath "unix/:-1"

FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"

FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"

After

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

... but before

EndSection

--------------------

Read the FAQ's

Linux User #266640

Current: Mandrake 10OE, SuSE 9.0 Pro, Virus XP

Current number of times I have broken my box: 2,967.791

What do you mean you don't break your box?!

:oops: The faq link is dead.

Does anyone have a explanation to the line

FontPath "unix/:-1"

This line says that xfs (XFree Font Server) is serving fonts on a unix socket. instead of this line, you could have a list of font files, or more probably in a network environment, a tcp/ip address.

Yves.

This line says that xfs (XFree Font Server)

X_Font_Server ;) ....it depends now that there's more than one. Just picking.....good to see ya!

[root@localhost root]# rpm -q xorg-x11-xfs
xorg-x11-xfs-6.7.0-2
[root@localhost root]#