Hauppauge TV Tuner Card

hugerobot

Does anyone have one of these? PCI or USB?

I want to get one for Christmas, but I am concerned about support for this card in Mandrake 9.0.

I have read some information that leads me to believe I can get it to work with recompiling the kernel (GULP!) and I have no idea how to do that.

So, if someone could tell me if they are using one of these devices, how they got it working, and what software they are using, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Guest SunnyJim

Do you mean WinTV? I have the PCI version of the Hauppauge card. I've had mine a couple years. Works great. I use it for capturing video from my video camera as well as catching CNN from time to time.

It uses the standard BTTV driver. In Mandrake the card will be recognised and the driver will be loaded at boot. No recompiling necessary. A shortcut will be placed on the desktop (KDE or Gnome) which will allow you to start watching TV in a window immediately.

Always check the chipset to be sure. Mine uses Bt849 or Bt879 -- I don't remember which -- 879, I think.

--SunnyJim

For more info you probably won't need go to http://linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/mini/BTTV-2.html

>Bttv is a device driver for frame grabber cards using the Conexant

>(http://www.conexant.com) Bt848 family of video decoder chips.

>Among those are the Bt848, Bt848A, Bt849, Bt878 and Bt879.

Guest SunnyJim

Yep. You will have to configure the channels (scan them) but it will work. The standard application XawTV (linked on the desktop) may seem a little difficult to get around in at first (expecially if you are used to Windows apps) but just right-click around a little and you figure it out pretty quickly.

--SunnyJim