can't get internet going with mdk10

Guest sicgixxer

Guest sicgixxer

Just installed mandrake 10, very new to linux, I had gotten 9.2 on disk but decided to upgrade. When I had 9.2 all I had to do was activate the eth0 and everything worked fine but now with mandrake 10 I can't seem to find a way to activate. I have ran the wizard in 'new connection' rebooted several times, haven't messed with ICS and under 'monitor connections' I hit connect and it times out. When I view the internet options it says 'lan' 'not connected' and when the system boots I get eth0 [FAILED, my system is a dual boot and winxp works just fine, its connected to the internet via a hub that is connected to my cable modem box. Anyhelp would be great.,

Also just as a second not, I'm using a gateway laptop does anyone know how to get tap-to-click and horizontal/vertical scrolling via the touchpad to work in mdk10? I've downloaded the rpm for the synaptic drivers but I can't tell any difference.

Hi;

Are you connected directly or top a router , from what you say you have an external router etc on network...

can you follow instructions I gave kmc77 earlier but post your results back here

you can redirect to a file with

route > afile.txt

if this is copied to a win partition etc or another PC with internet then you can copy and pasteinstead of typing everything.. not only is it easier but less errror prone...

I remember a bug in MDK10 that make not activate NICs, my advice is to update your system, specially drakconf and the kernel, since those fixed the problem for me. You could download the updates directory for mdf 10 OE from within windows from one of the mirrors and then update the system back in mdk. There is a way to generate an hdlist from a directory on the hard drive so you can add it as an update source, the command is genhdlist.

Good luck.