superblock

max

Partition magic says there is a wrong superblock info on my "/" partition but gives me no tools to fix it. I must also note that /boot, /, /usr, /home and /tmp are all located on separate partitions (only the first primary) on the same phisical hard disk and interleaved whith three windows98 partitions.

The strange thing is that mandrake9 gives me no alret at all on startup and sayis "clean" on hda6.

The question: there is a way to accurately control my / partition ? The only one is to boot from a floppy distro, mount my old hda6 and run fsck on it ?

Thanks.

:? Massimo

Guest SunnyJim

I'm not sure that I would believe Partition Magic on this one. I assume you used DiskDrake to do your partitioning (or part of it) when you installed Mandrake.

I used to rely on Partition Magic when I was still maintained Windows partitions. Unfortunately, there are small differences in the way PM and DD handle partitions. Subsequently, you can end up chasing "partition errors" all over the place that may or may not be an issue.

These days I do my partitioning with DiskDrake or Linux's fdisk and let it go at that. I haven't had partition problems since.

My best advice is to put your Windows partitions and linux partitions on separate disks and then use PM only for the Windows disk and DD/fdisk only on the linux disk. Or do all your partitioning in one utility only (I use DD even if I am setting up Windows partitions).