bttv pal-m mdk10 - something wrong

ethraza

Hi 4 n 1.

I'm not a NB but I'm currently 2 months searching for a answer for this question and can't find anything. I'm thinking in stop with linux in my home multimedia desktop and come back to XP.

Why?

I have a Pinnacle PCTV with Mandrakelinux 10 Official in a AMD Duron based system.

I'm living in Brazil and here we have the cable TV working with PAL-M and US-CABLE.

When I put the PCTV to work with NTSC, ut works but in Black and White. And when I put it to work in PAL-M, simple don't work.

I tryed xawtv, tvtime, fbtv, with MDK10, MMove and PCLOS P7 and always is the same.

I discovered something with scantv but I cannot understand why:

# scantv -n PAL-M -f us-cable

vbi: open failed [/dev/v4l/vbi0]

open /dev/v4l/vbi0: Invalid argument

(With NTSC works ok and find various channels.)

It seens that bttv module is not currently accepting PAL-M. But why?

Here is whre living all my problems with linux.

But today a new thing happened:

I buy a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1, turned off the onboard sound in hardware setup and plugged the new sound card. The linux have started and detected all ok. The sound works perfect. (TV currently B&W working in NTCS)

So I booted the first time after a hour (+-), and when booted up the sound continue to work perfect but the bttv and ic2 modules do not started with stupid errors, something like "wrong symbol" or "invalid option: ic2_debug", etc.

What the SB Live changed in this? Only 2 lines added to modules.conf about snd-emu10k1. And the rest is there bttv, ic2, etc.

Why, why, why is not working anymore?

And why, why,why when works, works only with NTSC and not with PAL-M?

My dmesg and lspci before SB live if anyone can help me.:

>dmesg |grep bttv

bttv: driver version 0.9.12 loaded

bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture

bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).

bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 11, latency: 32, mmio: 0xea002000

bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is 11bd:0012

bttv0: using: Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Rave [card=39,autodetected]

bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffefff [init]

bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found

bttv0: pinnacle/mt: id=5 info="NTSC / mono" radio=no

bttv0: using tuner=33

bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found

bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found

bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found

bttv0: registered device video0

bttv0: registered device vbi0

bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok

>lspci

(...)

00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)

00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)

I like Linux but I need this little things to stay in control of my mind day by day.

Sorry my poor english. Is not my default language.

And thanx a lot 4 n F1!

Edited by ethraza

can you "modprobe bttv tuner =33 and card=52" also with tuner=33 and card=39?

This way the bttv driver may work.

I am trying to solve my own pinnacle pctv probelems so maybe i can help if you give me the dmesg output for these two commands.

Do you know which tuner is on your card? mt2030 or mt2050? give the full dmesg output.

Also does your card have radio or stereo sound?

Which is the sound output of the tv card? to the line in or aux or internal?

Can you provide this info?

Hi! First of all thanx 4 the reply.

I reformated my pc because I changed my mainboard, processor and sound board. But this time I installer the Windows XP. :unsure:

The important things about the dmesg is above but I can try with pclos if I can make it works with my new pc.

I don't know wath tunner I have, but that in dmesg is autodetected and the autodetect is rigth about the sound and radio. ( pinnacle/mt: id=5 info="NTSC / mono" radio=no )

So I give up of Linux as my desktop OS and now I'm happy with my tv in color and the ePSXe working in XP.

But if you have questions about Linux and/or about pctv in Linux, put it here and if is something that I know I'll help you. And if you someday discovery the answers to my doubts, post it here too, maybe I give to Linux another try as a desktop/multimedia OS. :D

I dont want to go back to windows!!!!!

My card did not work with the mandrake kernel in 10 official!!

I downloaded a plain vanilla 2.4.26 kernel from lernel.org. and patched it with the latest bttv drivers from bytesex.org. then i added in the lck patches. then i recompiled and after several attempts (during which time my wife threatened to leave me several times ) got a working kernel with my pinnacle pctv pro red pcb mt2050 tuner working beautifully!!!

Then i though of using the 2.6 kernel becuase its supposed to be better right? but now its not working. dmesg bttv output doesn't show any tuner id!!! Scantv seems to find the tuner and tune in quiet a few channels. but tvtime, xawtv all show a blue screen!! it owrked once but then now it again doesn't. I can't pinpoint the problem!!!

I am sorry you cant get the card to work and even more sorry you went back to windows. If i find a solution ill post it here for you to go back to MDK which seems to be a nice distro.

Let me try this with the latest 2.6 kernel and the latest bttv driver. Only thing is i am afraid of breaking something in my MDK with a kernel that does not have all of MDK's Pathces applied. Like software suspend!!

Ill really appreciate it if soemone points me in the right direction!!!

Regards

Kunal

• 6 months later...

Man, if you still see this post I getting close to get my Pinnacle PCTV Mono to works correctly in Mandrake Linux 10.1 in Brazil with PAL-M and us-cable channels.

The only problem is: The video comes Ok with all the colors, but the sound comes only a constant white noise. Any idea? :wall:

ps. My PCTV is plugged internelly with AUX cable in my Sound Blaster Live 5.1.

And u, backed up to WinXP or Win the battle in Linux?

---

Today I noted this: Now XawTv and KdeTv Boots up my pc :angry:

The beatyfull TvTime works like this: When I select Pal-M the images comes Ok but the sound moised and when I select NTSC the image comes B&W w/ a little of green and pink but the sound comes Ok.

If theres a way to set Pal-M only to image and NTSC only to sound will be cool. :D But the corect is all PAL-M!

I noticed too that the problens is not w/ my Sound card or config cose plug a speaker in the AUDIO OUT of the PCTV Card makes the same noise when in PAL-M and Wok sound when in NTSC, the problen seend to with the bttv drive or the drive that controls the Silver Box (Forget the name of that now :-).

Edited by ethraza

• 2 weeks later...

I get my PCTV working with PAL-M all ok. :drum:

Before talking directly with the bttv father and send some dmesg for hin, so he tell me wath to do.

Install a 2.6.10 kernel with this patch http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/2.6.10-2/tuner-update.

How to do that in Mandrake 10.1?

Add cooker with easy_urpmi

Install kernel-source-2.6.10-1mdk

Download the tuner-update file

patch -p0 < tuner-update

He will ask for the files to update, do a locate to find the fold files that mus be in /usr/src/linux/...

Compile the kernel and get I recent kernel with your won configuration and Pinnacle PCTV working in PAL-M. :lol:

To Gerd Knorr, the bttv father... :thanks:

In the Box is saying... Compatible with Windows 95 or better, so I installer Linux! :mr-green:

Edited by ethraza

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Winckler

Thanks ethraza!

I also have this board, and for more than a year I only could watch tv over a deintralace software.

This patch also worked for me!

My CPU thanks!

!!! To Gerd Knorr, the bttv father... THANKS!!!

• 1 month later...

New goods for everyone with PAL-M!

I installed the new kernel-2.6.11.2mdk-1-1mdk from cooker on my MDK 10.1 and PAL-M comes functional.

Thanks cooker people! Don't need to compile anything anymore! :D

PS. I'm curious. What program do you used to see the TV in the old days? (deintralace software?)