Install Crash!!!!

I am using an HP Pavillion ze4430us, with AMD-M 2400, 512ram, ati radeon mobility 320m, sharing 128megs of my main ram.

I want to install 10c on my new 80gig external hd, running on usb1.1

This is the first time i have attempted to install linux on my laptop. The setup starts fine, and i selected to erase entire harddrive sda and reformat it. the format starts, but when it was formating sda6, about 30 minutes into the install, my laptop just turns itself off. this happened twice, on 2 seperate occassions. has any one else had this problem, or have any suggestions about what i should do?

oh yea, my md5sums were fine

please help i bought this HD for linux!!!!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Boot into the bios and turn off any power management. Don't save your battery or anything! :D I think your laptop is simply auto off-ing for power conservation. try the bios.

I tried reading your owner's manual at the hp sight, but it is not part of the downloadable items! Power management is a major issue for notebooks, so something has to be there. See if the notebook behaves differently with the battery out while you are installing. I know that Toshiba notebooks must have the battery in to operate, even if they are plugged in!

that would have been an interesting solution.

it almost seemed like it formatted longer before it turned itsef off, but it was probably placebo effect, added to by this rediculous feature:

when the battery is removed, a huge orange light flashes right on the front of the laptop. it was torture, so when it crashed again, it was like i finally died, with much releif.

thanks for all your effort. what information do you need to know from the manual? i will email those bastards at hp if i have too.

im downloading knoppix to see if it works, i read somewhere someone with my laptop uses it.

I don't know. I read the manuals and usually can find an item of interest. Now you know one of my hardware secrets! I read the manual. Don't tell anybody. :jester:

Well i still didnot read the manual, but i was able to solve the problem. I got this large floor fan out of the attic, proped up my laptop to allow airflow under it, and put the fan on full blast, aimed at my intake vent. Installation worked fine!

Appaerently, when my proscessor hits a certain temp, the computer halts. Strangley enough, this is not true in windows, which it sometimes gets very hot in.

I figured this out because propping up my laptop drastically increased the time i could work on a live cd before it halts. It worked for an hour last nite, then i decided to take it off the prop, and it halted in 5 minutes.

So my plan is to use linux with the fan (once it boots), and learn how to recomplie my kernal to get APCI to work, allowing my proscessor to idle at .53ghz instead of 1.7ghz, hopefully keeping the heat down enough to prevent any future halting.

Thanks for all your help!!