Mandrake overtaking French Government?????????????

NeoXP

Anon has posted an English report of the story here, but this is my translation: :)

France wants to change over one million state computers to open source. Renaud Dutreil, the minister for public administration, hopes to be able to reduce national expenditure on software by half and have a permanent impact on the national budget. Transfer to Linux & Co is not to be seen as an attack on Microsoft; it just means that the Redmond company is a software provider among many, explained Dutreil in an interview. The French open source manufacturers MandrakeSoft and Mozilla Europe, both based in Paris, could profit from the change. MandrakeSoft believe they are poised to sign contracts with several ministries already. 

The French police have been using 20,000 PCS with open source software on a trial basis, and other ministries have been testing the free software. The final conversion of all national PCs is now to take place to a large extent in this and the coming year. Only on Wednesday, Munich city councillors adopted a staged plan for the conversion to Linux of 14,000 computers in the city administration. The Norwegian city of Bergen wants to change over their servers in the public administration to SUSE at the end of this year and is also considering a complete migration of all state PCs to Linux. The city of Vienna is currently doing a feasibility study for a transfer to Linux.

Anon has posted an English report of the story here, but this is my translation:

D*mn, I have been searching for it on the board, but could not find it, thougt I was the first to have discovered it :oops: .............

Then the honour goes to you Anon :thumbs:

Still all this is giving a great boost to OSS and Mandy in particular! :headbang: