Suse vs Fedora Project

I would say Suse is more noobie freindly than Fedora.

That being said, I like Fedora the best. :P

Just about everything is available under fedora in rpms, it's a developers/hackers distro.

I would say Suse is more noobie freindly than Fedora.

That being said, I like Fedora the best. :P

Just about everything is available under fedora in rpms, it's a developers/hackers distro.

mmmmmmm ok, do I need the 5CD to install suse or only the first 4 disc, why so many disc in this distro??? I read some reviews about suse 9.1 Pro and looks killer to my eyes.

Thanks for your advice !!!

:thumbs:

Suse just packs about everything under the sun in 5 cd's. Unless you go and buy them. the only other "real" way to get it would be an ftp install, but if you run across the 5 cd's and you install a lot of stuff then you will need them all. I think there default install is the first 2, maybe 3.

Darkelve has a review of suse 9.1 in the Everything Linux forum, if you want to read all of his comments on the installation & usage of suse 9.1.

I have a recent install of Fedora Core 2 and so far I really love it. As cybrjackle says, everything you could possibly want will be available somewhere thru apt-get or yum. I have been using yum to get everything so far, and its been pretty great so far. Since I had to cough up some money for a new system, home-built, about $400 for the mobo, processor, RAM, and video card, I couldn't pay for an $89 suse pro box. So I downloaded FC2.

yep id recommend fedora. Everything's available, and it has a cool default icon set :P

Its ability to use yum *and* apt-get is cool, and means youll always find what you want. Plus I feel its more up to date, coz its like....cooler

I take my choice today folks, I will go for Fedora Project 2 after I read some reviews here I am really keen now, so I will download now the 4 CDs.

Thanks to all here this community is great.

Replicator

:thumbs:

Edited by spinynorman

I also downloaded all 4 CDs. And I picked damn near everything during my Workstation Install (I kept all the default selections, and I added a bunch of other selections (like KDE desktop, grip, and lots of others) BUT it still only need the first 2 CDs during install.

I was thinking about giving FC2 a shot sometime soon. I was just wondering that when I install it do I need to repartition my hd or can I just install it on mandrake and keep all the data I already have in my home directory. I've got several gigs of videofiles and stuff I'd rather not burn on dvds to back them up until I put them back on my system.

Replicator:

If you've burned the ISO correctly it should be bootable, ensure you change your boot order in the BIOS.

inha:

Do you want to keep your Mandrake installation or just the home partition? Do you have /home on a seperate partition, or just part of the root partition?